News:

Topic: VoidWorld Update Apr 18 2012  (Read 8247 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2012, 11:08:12 am
new update.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Apr-18-12.rar

Summary of changes:

* Group pivot is added. It makes it possible to manipulate a group of objects like a single object. See Help > Contents > Modeling > Scene Organizing.
  * Rendering performance is largely improved.

Thanks!

• Edge
April 18, 2012, 11:09:50 am
"rendering performance is largely improved"!?

Well this is exactly what was needed.
Thanks!

• Edge
April 18, 2012, 11:27:22 am
Istonia, I don't know how to "attach main light to camera".
It doesn't seem to work on my end. The lights stay in their position in space, regardless of camera movement. Can you check it? Thanks.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2012, 02:05:30 pm
really great to see improvements in performance. in prevous verisons i have been kinda scared to try any really complex subd models like a gun or a vieachle

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 18, 2012, 09:41:52 pm
Memag, select one object only which is the camera then fire the command. The app only uses directional lights, so moving camera has no effect, you have to rotate to change its direction.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 19, 2012, 02:38:10 pm
I thought I would dump my scrappy note taking while using the last few versions of Nvil, as I'm uber busy at the moment. These are Bug and suggestions mixed sorry..

• Preferences window locks out the rest of the program (would like to be able to see things update realtime in the viewport etc)
   • Retopo Reference objects should always be drawn behind or rather your new retopo mesh should always be drawn on top. (Look to Topogun way of rendering objects for a guide as I think it has this side perfected)
   • All Grids could do with individual Transparency or Visibility Controls.
   • Guidelines - need to behave more like splines, so you can draw them out rather than base them on a subobject selection and locked within.
   • Bug with Inset Polygon - going in reverse past boundary edges gives messy result.
   • Pressing hotkeys for subobject toggles between previous type.  This is undesireable and I think should be bound so that if you press 3 it goes to poly selection and never anything else.
   • New Object pivot won't allow you to reposition it.  Needs to be able to work with pivot tool and Set Manipulater Streamline tool etc..

that is all..

Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 20, 2012, 11:19:56 am
ghib, I think the retopo mesh is drawn on top of the reference mesh already. Please show me a picture.

I don't understand what is the polygon inset bug. Do you mean the outset option?

The subobject hotkey toggle between previous type is suggested by elte. If I put an option for this that might make things complicated.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 20, 2012, 11:39:42 am
RE: Polygon Inset bug - I think that possibly the normals had become messed up on my model and then using the inset tool in the inverse the vertices flew in all different directions.  I'll try and dig out the model in question if I get some time.

RE: retopo Mesh.  The new retopo mesh is obscured by the Reference mesh at certain depth.

I think that 3DCoat solves this problem by giving the option to alter the Z-Bias of drawing the new mesh in front of the reference mesh.  Ideally this would just be done automatically in the background to ALWAYS draw the retopo mesh in front of the Reference mesh.

RE: Subobject toggle.  I see.  To me it is more of a hindrance than an asset.  I quite often find myself in the wrong subobject mode when I'm working fast.  Ideally (to me) pressing 1 will always give me vertex selection and nothing else.. and the same goes for all selection modes. I think giving the option would please everyone and frustrate noone :)
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 20, 2012, 10:19:33 pm
just discovered another bug, I think it's happening ever since Grouping objects was introduced.

Sometimes you can't click to select objects in the viewport.  You must 1st double click in the Scene Explorer then you can select in the viewport again..

Seems to occur at random so maybe a few tries are necessary.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 21, 2012, 11:36:47 am
ghib, I just can't recreate the bug you mentioned. I can't think of any possible way that can guarantee retopo mesh is alway on top of the reference mesh.