News:

Topic: GONvil  (Read 8589 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 01, 2012, 02:07:42 pm
considering how a lot of people seem to use nvil to work on individual props or objects and assemble there scene in other apps, thinking it would be great if there was something like zbrushes goz, so we could get things in and out of nvil between other apps like maya, max, and blender in 1 click.

would be especially cool if it was aware of the location in the original scene, so when things come into nvil there are at the origin, so they are easy to work on, but when transfered back into the main 3d app they end back up in there original location.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 02, 2012, 10:38:58 am
I would LOVE to see a GoNvil between apps. 

I currently have a script from Softimage to export currently selected object to an intermediate obj file which I then Import to Nvil and viceversa.  It's a few clicks more than GoZ style but less clicks than manually exporting/importing.

I would like to see something a bit more intelligent that keeps hard-edges/smoothing groups and other useful data between the apps though.
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 02, 2012, 11:49:14 am
there is always fbx for the exchange formate which will keep hard and soft edges and better maintain the heiarchery, and it looks like auto-desk products are starting to support Alembic. or the possibility of vvws importers for other packages?

to lower the amount of work, i think the functionality will need to be put in nvil, and a api written so people can script the other end of it for there 3d package.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
April 02, 2012, 02:04:03 pm
hear hear.
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 18, 2012, 01:30:58 pm
More or less done in the last few updates that included the clipboard feature.

im currently working on scripts for maya, and maybe max to work with this feature, that i will post later.