News:

Topic: Snap Toggle?  (Read 6997 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 20, 2012, 04:04:54 pm
Hi All,
is there maybe an option to Toggle Snaps on by pressing and holding down a key or
an auxiliary (x1/x2) Mouse-Button? Basically a bit in the way sticky keys work.
I want Snaps to be off most of the time but I'd like to temporarily switch them on for a second.
As soon as one lets go the Key/Button all Snaps are turned off again.
Possible?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 20, 2012, 10:17:32 pm
there is a snap streamline tool that is unbound by defualt.

works good for snapping things together, but not great if you need to snap and constrain to a axis, so changing it to work with the widget, or make a toggle would be nice.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 21, 2012, 10:15:37 am
Thanks Passerby,
I think the key is to make it work transparently while already running commands. In this Clip from
Rhino I run the Move command. To toggle on Snaps temporarily I need to Press (and Hold!)Alt.
When I let go they are off again.

The whole Toggle System actually works very nicely:
If one has set Snaps to permanently active pressing Alt suppresses Snaps temporarily.
If set to permanently off pressing Alt activates Snaps for as long as the key is held.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 21, 2012, 10:48:40 am
ya i only mentioned the other tool as a work around, i would like a toggle system like maya, where you just hold a key to temporally enable snapping, and it works with all tools, or if it is already turned on via the gui the key will disable it while held down.

also maya can have separate toggle keys for different snapping types too which can be nice.