News:

Topic: Simplified Object Hierarchies  (Read 12230 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 15, 2012, 08:12:03 pm
I think there's something fundamental inside VW which makes editing still more complex as need be.
It is its its division in too many item-types.
I just love how minimalistic  that is done inside Silo: Verts, Edges, Faces, Objects - nothing more.
If one needs an itme which consists of several items one can just join stuff together.
When one needs them separate again. Doubleclick (select entire object)+ Break. Done.

VW also differenciates between Meshes and Objects. In my (pure Modeling) Workflow I fail to see where this ever could make sense - it instead just complicates stuff. The additional mode may come in handy when handling large Scenes and animating. But this is exactly one of the reasons I avoid using programs like Modo, which also introduces this sort of steep Scene-Hierarchy.
Istonia - would it be possible get rid of this additional Step?

• Edge
March 15, 2012, 09:52:19 pm
+1

Object item type should substitute both mesh and object operations, attributes and items.
Just merge them and remove duplicate operations (hide ,unhide,hide unselected etc).
Simplifying user interaction and UI should be important.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 16, 2012, 04:31:07 pm
I've brought this up a few times with Kun and the way it is right now is fundamental to the system he's created.  It would be too much work to change right now, which is a slight shame but something I've learned to live with.

It does take away from the pureness of a simplistic modeller though as quite often I'll make a mess of things purely because I haven't merged my meshes.
Senior 3D Artist

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2012, 12:49:09 pm
...the way it is right now is fundamental to the system he's created.  It would be too much work to change right now...

Understandable. However - will there ever be a better option again than now with a not yet released product?
I doubt that.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 19, 2012, 11:24:11 am
I thought I should add a simple example for my proposed Object handling. It's here.
As it's not a fancy video I thought it isn't worth uploading it to Youtube or such.
Hope it still makes some sense & sorry for my English.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:26:02 am by polyxo »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 19, 2012, 12:14:54 pm
There is an obj import option, Divide into objects by polygon groups. Have you tried that?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 19, 2012, 01:10:27 pm
There is an obj import option, Divide into objects by polygon groups. Have you tried that?
Hi IStonia,
this was just a sample - I don't need that file in Voidworld. Dividing the already separate objects in Polygroups might do the trick but only as a workaround.
I think Polygroups have another function:  They serve as zones of common properties within the bounds of a contigous mesh.
Blender by the way opens the .obj exported from Silo as three single objects too, so the info seems to get stored inside the file. Also here it is easy to extract the contained Sub-Meshes from each Shoe. Here's the File if you'd like to check.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:14:18 pm by polyxo »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 20, 2012, 12:43:31 pm
polyxo: I checked the file and it has three lines for polygon grouping

g Generic
g object_5
g scarpa-esterno01

If you open the file in nodepad, remove these lines, save it as obj file and try to open it in silo/blender, see whether you can still get three objects out of it.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 20, 2012, 01:25:29 pm
polyxo: I checked the file and it has three lines for polygon grouping

g Generic
g object_5
g scarpa-esterno01

If you open the file in nodepad, remove these lines, save it as obj file and try to open it in silo/blender, see whether you can still get three objects out of it.

I just did this. After deleting these strings indeed neither Silo nor Blender recognize separate Objects any more. So these Programs indeed use Poly-Groups under the Hood not only for declared Polygroups but also for separating entire Objects. Speaking for Voidworld I would personally like to see a similar behaviour, for compatibility alone. Polygroups were used in the Scene-Explorer to join non welded meshes (the single components of one Shoe).
And there was additonally a Group-Editor which alows the User to form Subobject-Groups of all kind. These may contain just a selection or also all  Members of a Subobject-sort (e.g. Edges) on just one or also on several mesh-items. (what a sentence :)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 20, 2012, 02:01:25 pm
And there was additonally a Group-Editor which alows the User to form Subobject-Groups of all kind
I should rather say - there's a Group Editor-Section in the same Editor.