News:

Topic: some hints on Retopo workflow please!  (Read 3343 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 18, 2014, 03:47:41 pm
Hi All,
I know what Retopo is and am familiar with various implementations in other programs. In Nvil I see the interface controls but I have no idea how the process is intended to be executed. Could anyone enlighten me with a brief enumeration of the general steps? That would be great!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 18, 2014, 05:19:50 pm
Hello Polyxo.
Have you tried looking in the help file (Modeling->Edge Section->Retopo)? It explains pretty well how to retopologise in NVil.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 24, 2014, 01:02:44 pm
Thank you rubberDuck and sorry for the late reply. I indeed had already read that chapter of the Help file.
While it sure contains in detail information about the single tools there's crucial information missing. What is this Retopo
thing at all and what is required to enter (and exit) this mode. There's three different places in the app which carries
something with Retopo in its name...
I know what I want to do - but which of these buttons and checkboxes do I have to activate in which sequence and why?

I finally figured that my problem was not to have the visual tools window open. Only here one can track that Retopo mode
is still active and wasn't dropped in favor of another tool. When opening the Visual Tools window I finally got things going.
Honestly however, I am not yet convinced with the current implementation of this workspace. I see that Retopo causes a
mode change, activates some additional snaps and remaps some keys for as long as the command is active. But was switching
to separate workmode really necessary in this case? I'm convinced all retopo functionality could get embedded the default
interaction scheme.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 25, 2014, 05:12:01 am
I finally figured that my problem was not to have the visual tools window open. Only here one can track that Retopo mode
is still active and wasn't dropped in favor of another tool.
Yes, I agree with you. I don't understand why key shortcuts are enforced on the user when he enters the "Retopo" tool. Shortcuts for most crucial tools like cut, extrude, bridge, create polygon, etc. Probably most of us have some convenient bindings defined for them already. Okay, retopo's extrude I find useful, for I can rapidly build shapes with it thanks to its extrusion segments. And I don't think standard extrusion have it. But the "Cut" tool for example - I use 'X' shortcut for it and "Retopo" forces me to use "C". "X" doesn't work while I'm in the tool, because it's reserved for laying down cross section lines... Ugh...

By the way, create poly tool could use a little bit of love. It would be convenient if we didn't have to close drawn loops in order to create those guys (see: image).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:15:19 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 28, 2014, 12:07:15 pm
By the way, create poly tool could use a little bit of love. It would be convenient if we didn't have to close drawn loops in order to create those guys (see: image).

Ooh.  That'd be ace.