News:

Topic: Point Bevelling / Chamferring  (Read 4416 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 09, 2013, 05:22:26 pm
A common thing to do when modelling is to bevel a point and create a circle of points. Attached is a before and after done in Cinema 4D. Usually what you do is the same both sides. You can then create a hole by bridging the polygons on both sides.

Unless I'm using the wrong tool there seems no way to do this in NVil apart from doing a Boolean operation.

Suggestions / confirm it can't be done. Not being able to do this pretty much rules out using NVil as a serious modeller. modo can do this similar to C4D.

Thanks
Nigel / 3DKiwi

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 09, 2013, 05:24:53 pm
And the result using NVil

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 09, 2013, 06:56:49 pm
Although I would not create geometry leaving n-gons(even though Nvil allows vertex rewind), you can create that type of geometry needed for holes quickly enough, but not currently with a single tool.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 10, 2013, 12:28:43 am
Thanks. Where do I find the Circularize command / tool?

I only use this technique when hard surface modelling. It's no good for Sub D modelling.

Cheers
Nigel

• No avatar
  • Spline
October 10, 2013, 11:02:15 am
Hi Nigel.
CLick "Tool Search" in left of screen. Input for sample "cir".
Select "Circularize_select" and click on any viewport.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:14:52 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 11, 2013, 12:24:10 am
Thanks. Got it plus discovered the tool search function.

Cheers
Nigel

• Triangle
October 11, 2013, 01:23:25 am
...you can create that type of geometry needed for holes quickly enough, but not currently with a single tool.

I disagree. Actually you can do this with just one click! Don't underestimate Nvil. ;)
Take a look:
http://youtu.be/kzRgEllmVSM

This is how I did it: I created a composite tool and put that into the "on activated" slot of a streamline tool which has circularize on its NMB & LMB slots. As you will see, the composite tool is even nested, because I wanted to save time. I wish more tools would be usable inside the composite tool editor, but NVil is already very powerful. Great piece of software.

I hope this helps to speed up your workflow!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:19:35 am by Vaquero »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
October 11, 2013, 09:04:16 pm
Very slick. Not sure how you made the tool but I'll look into it. Seems a very powerful function.

• Triangle
October 11, 2013, 10:25:00 pm
I tried some different scenarios, but unfortunately the bridge tool isn't always working as expected. Instead of bridging opposite edges, it either caps the holes in a very strange manner or the opposite open edges are bridged rather wildly, which results in a mess, not in a tunnel.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
January 26, 2014, 05:12:50 pm
Cool little example!   I was apple to get it work just fine, although I could not use the break edges command.  It just would not divide the edges at all, but i was able to get it to work by just using the connect command.

Is there a way to share these little gems for community download?