News:

Topic: connect (vert|edge|face), select produced components  (Read 12744 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 11:42:16 am
I can add an option to make the selection to new edges for cut tool commands. And also an option to the tool of spline creation from edges.

You are not being serious are you? You really want to add even more options? No, there are far too many already.
If you cannot see the need for some consistency in the programme, then I am wasting my time.

I have noticed that could be too many options. But there are some questions
  * How to define the consistency for all tools. for example, chamfer tool, should the selection be new polygons or edges? Should all the new edges be selected?
  * Consistency may conflict with individual people's preferred workflow.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:50:00 pm
I have noticed that could be too many options. But there are some questions
  * How to define the consistency for all tools. for example, chamfer tool, should the selection be new polygons or edges? Should all the new edges be selected?
Well, the chamfer tool is another inconsistency is it not.
Do you believe the current results of what is selected after using the function is correct? As it is, it can be nothing(chop off), or it leaves the original selected edges selected, does anyone add a second chamfer on top of the first? or, will any other tool be used on that original edge selection?

* Consistency may conflict with individual people's preferred workflow.
I do not see how inconsistency can help any workflow. I have been using Nvil \ Voidworld now for approx 18 months, and still have not been able to get a good workflow. In fact, in that time period, all those I have got to try Nvil/voidworld have not lasted long enough to get a workflow as they find it too confusing.

If you are concerned about individual peoples preferred workflows, then why did you change the default (what was selected after use) of the Context_cut tool? That as now made you add another option(to change it back) to the ever expanding list, and now you want to add yet another option to change the result yet again. How confusing can you make the programme?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 01:09:29 pm
The chamfer tool selection was suggested by a user. What is your expected selection?

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
November 25, 2013, 03:03:55 pm
I was trying out the feature suggested in this thread. I think mightypea idea is cool, but my workflow is like Passerby, I often select just two vertices or a few of it and use connect. So making edge selected as the default behaviour is annoying for me too, because most of the time, I just want to connect the vertices and not doing anything further with the edge. With the default behaviour I have an extra step to go into vertex mode again.

I do prefer the resulting edge being selected when I do connect in polygon mode and edge mode.

I suggest making another context cut tool that does what mightypea suggests, instead of using option in the Preferences. That way, I can assign 'X' to cut the old way, and use another hotkey 'Shift-X' to do the 'mightypea cut'.

Using an option makes it hard to do both.

I haven't thought much about the consistency... maybe this is another thing, but shouldn't a tool's behaviour closer to what other major software is using? so users that come from other software feels don't get unexpected behavior :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:06:15 pm by miica »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 03:10:10 pm
The chamfer tool selection was suggested by a user. What is your expected selection?
Well, it is not down to what do I expect, I am just looking for consistency.

Lets go back to the "Cut" tool for a moment.

As it is now, you have changed the defaults, added an option to change it back, and are looking at adding yet another option to change it again. That is just silly.

Lets look at a different way that is a consistent default, and rather than multiple hidden options to change default, have a single extra function.

For example with "Context Cut". The defaults could be to always have the sub_object pre-selection selected after the tool used. You then have a function that can select that new geometry created. That way, if you do not like the default, you can place the "Context_cut" into a "Composite Tool" and add the "Select new geometry" function.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 07:18:26 pm
How about I set the "Context Cut" tool to use the old behavior and "Context Cut(Break Edges)" to select new edges? That way there is no need to add a new tool or option.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 09:43:59 pm
i would just have tools select the best thing possible after use, that dosnt require the component mode to change.

Since what was bothering me, wasnt what was being selected, it was that the tool kept knocking me out of vertex mode.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 10:31:33 pm
How about I set the "Context Cut" tool to use the old behavior and "Context Cut(Break Edges)" to select new edges?

You certainly know how to miss the point.

Do as you will, it makes no difference to me.