News:

Topic: connect (vert|edge|face), select produced components  (Read 12745 times)

• Edge
October 02, 2013, 11:30:26 am
When running connect on a selection, it'd be great if it would leave the produced edges selected. Particularly when connecting faces, it's hard to then loop select the resulting edges.

As in this image:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:03:59 pm by mightypea »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 09:21:44 pm
The polygon and vertex mode operations are done. I leave the edge mode operation as is because you may want to do further cut in some cases.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 13, 2013, 09:45:55 am
Hi IStonia,

I agree with mightypea that the change was needed, but have to disagree with the change made, as the function result is still inconsistent.

I leave the edge mode operation as is because you may want to do further cut in some cases.
In which cases? Those cases, if any, could also apply to cutting polygons, so why not have the polygons left selected? Sorry, but you need consistency with these functions, so (IMHO) a case of either leaving pre-selection selected, or having the created geometry selected, not different results from the same function.

It is a similar issue with some other tools/functions. Simple example:- "Loop Insert" There are 3 main options:
1: Auto ring selected edges. (function leaves created edges selected)
2: Selection only (function leaves nothing selected)
2: Manually selected (Function leaves created edges selected).

Another simple example, is "Create closed spline" / "Create open spline" (from edges). You select edges, create spline, and you are left with pre-selected edges selected, why is that? Do you think the user may want to create a second spline from the same pre-selection? Would it not be more logical to have the created object(spline) selected after it is created?

From my own point of view, I think that anything created should be what is selected after it is created, at least that way, you have consistency. IMHO of course.

Sorry for what may appear a bit of a rant, but inconsistency can be confusing, but even more (to me at least), annoying, and not good workflow.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 20, 2013, 02:33:06 pm
there has to be a way to turn this off, most annoying fucking thing ever when you need to connect lots of verts and it keeps switching to edge mode on every successful connect.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:38:38 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 24, 2013, 10:34:37 am
there has to be a way to turn this off, most annoying fucking thing ever when you need to connect lots of verts and it keeps switching to edge mode on every successful connect.

The option is added.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 24, 2013, 11:16:12 am
Thanks mate!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 24, 2013, 11:12:19 pm

The option is added.

So will you be making the context_cut tool consistent, so that by default the created (Cut) geometry is selected? As it is now, you have added an option to maintain pre-sub_object selection, but it does that anyway if sub_object selection is edges.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:00:44 am
@steve I mostly connect by selecting the 2 verts and taping the cut key, instead of using the interactive cut.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:32:53 am
@steve I mostly connect by selecting the 2 verts and taping the cut key, instead of using the interactive cut.

If you are pre-selecting vertex, then pressing "C", you are using the "Context_cut". (unless you have changed the default cut event actions)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:36:55 am
same tool I just explaining I'm not using it the same way as you thought since I prefer to pre select

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:44:48 am
same tool I just explaining I'm not using it the same way as you thought since I prefer to pre select

You are using it exactly as I thought you where. I have made no mention of the interactive cut tool. I have been posting concerning the "Context_cut" tool and what selection is made after its use (either the pre-selection sub_objects, or the new created edges).

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 12:51:12 am
havet tried since the update but I would just assume it would be the old behaviour with this once this option is tunred off where it just does the connect and keeps my 2 verts selected. or turn the option on if you don't like that behaviour to have it select the new geo.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 01:26:19 am
havet tried since the update but I would just assume it would be the old behaviour with this once this option is tunred off where it just does the connect and keeps my 2 verts selected. or turn the option on if you don't like that behaviour to have it select the new geo.

You appear to be only concerned with the results of "Context_cut" on preselected vertex. I have been putting forward a need for consistency (for what is selected after using Context_cut) for all preselected sub_object selections.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 10:05:28 am

The option is added.

So will you be making the context_cut tool consistent, so that by default the created (Cut) geometry is selected? As it is now, you have added an option to maintain pre-sub_object selection, but it does that anyway if sub_object selection is edges.

I can add an option to make the selection to new edges for cut tool commands. And also an option to the tool of spline creation from edges.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 25, 2013, 11:20:13 am
I can add an option to make the selection to new edges for cut tool commands. And also an option to the tool of spline creation from edges.

You are not being serious are you? You really want to add even more options? No, there are far too many already.
If you cannot see the need for some consistency in the programme, then I am wasting my time.