News:

Topic: Clipping issues in orthographic views!!!  (Read 16608 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 04:23:01 pm
If you are using composite tools to change view, could they not also change viewports?
I guess it could work for that composite tool, because it uses snapping to whatever plane is closest (top, bottom, left, right, front or back), but I also switch between perspective/orthographic with View Navigation Tools->Perspective Orthographic View$ from time to time, I would probably need to pass camera position and orientation of my main bottom-right viewport to an arbitrary viewport that I'd use as orthographic. I'm not sure if this is possible.

(BTW Steve, can you please remind me how to export a composite tool?)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 04:48:58 pm
Composite tools can currently only be exported from "Customize tool"

Edit >> Customize >> Tools >>>>> Composite tool. RMB on composite tool and select "export composite tool" from drop down menu.

• Polygon
October 06, 2017, 09:12:30 pm
I found by setting near to 0.1 is the sweet spot. If I go smaller I get mesh display issues, if I go larger I cannot zoom into small objects without clipping occurring to early.

Ideally (like Rubber Duck) I would like to go down to 0.01 but cannot at the moment due to mesh display issues.

Zooming to selection with best fit or zoom window in custom/ortho seems to work Ok now.

I am getting far plane issues now.

I've also noticed when near plane clipping occurs best fit doesn't get rid of it anymore but using set focus point does.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:58:02 pm by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 11:07:28 pm
Kevin, it is near plane clipping, not far plane. Base on the image provided, you camera is too close to the object. To fix
1. Enable "View > Advance Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming".
2. Zoom out until no clipping.
3. Disable "View > Advance Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming".

• Polygon
October 06, 2017, 11:38:42 pm
Ok, I'll give that a go next time it happens and it happens frequently.

I am finding that Best fit all or Set focus point does not always resolve the clipping once it occurs.

I think I could get used to working in perspective rather than custom / ortho, would that be a better option for me rather than having to interrupt the workflow by frequently having to toggle advance focus point, set focus point, best fit all ?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 12:50:31 am
I think I could get used to working in perspective rather than custom / ortho, would that be a better option for me rather than having to interrupt the workflow by frequently having to toggle advance focus point, set focus point, best fit all ?

I don't think it will make much difference. When you rotate the view in custom view, the camera's position can be anywhere and it can be too close to or too far from the spot you want to see.

I would say, turn off the "Auto set for fixed ortho viewports, Front/Back... For custom view, there are 2 options.
1. Turn on the "Auto set". Control the camera position by setting its focus point.
2. Turn off the "Auto set". Control the camera position by zooming with "Advance Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming".

As you can see, there is no once for all solution.

• Polygon
October 07, 2017, 01:11:30 am

As you can see, there is no once for all solution.

No, but this thread has been incredibly educational for finding out how to deal with all the clipping issues.

Thanks for the tips on Option 1 and 2. Will try both out to see what works best for me.

Thanks to you and Steve for the help and advice  :)

If you get time, it would be good to include your recommendations in the help file. It will assist new Nvil users a lot (in case they don't find this thread).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:47:09 am by kevjon »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 02:01:28 am
IStonia,

Would you be able to find some time to create commands(toggle) to:- App Auto Set viewport(*)$
(A command for each viewport, for use in composite tools)

So for example, if in viewport 1 and want to change from perp to ortho view, we can create composite tool to toggle perp/ortho, and also have it toggle the "App Auto set" for that viewport.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 01:12:58 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-09-17.rar

Edit > Customize > Tools > View Navigation Tools > P_SetClipPlanes.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 02:45:04 pm
Edit > Customize > Tools > View Navigation Tools > P_SetClipPlanes.

Working correctly. Thank you.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 03:03:50 pm
..............but I also switch between perspective/orthographic............

Hi rubberDuck,

Have attached example composite tool to toggle between "custom(perp)" and "Custom(ortho)".

Load composite tool, there are 3 composite tools, but only call "Toggle perp/ortho". It works in current/active viewport.

The composite tool will check to see if in custom view, if not (if in front/side etc) it will do nothing.
If current view is "Custom(perp)", it will change view to "Custom(ortho) and disable clipping "App Auto set" for that viewport.
If current view is "Custom(ortho), it will change to "Custom(perp) and enable clipping "App Auto set" for the viewport.

Note:-
After switching to "Custom(ortho)", there may be clipping due to camera position. If there is, enable "Advance focus...." and zoom out untill clipping gone, then disable "Advance focus...."

--------------------------------------------
Tool removed due to Nvil change.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:06:29 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 08:57:14 pm
Thank you Steve. The tool works perfectly, but I have noticed some problems with camera rotation.
When I switch to orthographic view using your tool, transform the viewport camera a bit, then use Best Fit to frame the selected object, sometimes the rotation pivot moves to what seems to be a random position. I captured this on a video. Standard built-in Perspective/Orthographic View does not show this behavior.
Do you have any suspicions as to why it happen?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_r9d5SdkIvUUg0MkhpYmcyd2M

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 09:29:46 pm
Do you have any suspicions as to why it happen?

Looks like incorrect camara focus.

Change "View > View Rotation Pivot Style" to "PointOfInterest(withSelection)";"Camera Focus Point(No Selection)"

Those are the settings I use by default, and did not see(when testing) the problems you show.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 09:52:15 pm
Looks like incorrect camara focus.

Change "View > View Rotation Pivot Style" to "PointOfInterest(withSelection)";"Camera Focus Point(No Selection)"

Those are the settings I use by default, and did not see(when testing) the problems you show.
Sadly it gets even worse with PointOfInterest (with Selection). I have no idea what the camera rotates around in this rotation pivot style. I can "move" the cube out of viewport's frame just by rotating around it.  :-\

I'm accustomed to Camera Focus Point (with Selection)/Camera Focus Point (No Selection).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 07, 2017, 10:04:14 pm
I do not actually use "Custom(Ortho)" view, so only testing. I am seeing some loss of focus, but only minor.

It is someting IStonia will need to look at.