News:

Topic: Clipping issues in orthographic views!!!  (Read 16610 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 05, 2017, 11:02:02 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-07-17.rar

I use the "Auto set" option as the flag for which method will be used.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 05, 2017, 11:53:34 pm
I use the "Auto set" option as the flag for which method will be used.

When in "Custom Perspective" not in auto, there is no [alt+RMB)zooming.

Maybe checking: IF "Auto set AND Orthographic view"?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 10:19:22 am
Hi IStonia,

For my own usage, it is working great. (using Ortho on all views apart from custom)

For using "Custom Orthographic"(as Kevjon does) there is an issue when using zoom tools (such as "Window Zoom View" or "Best Fit"(on sub-objects)), as those tools are moving the camera(as if "Advance Focus....." was enabled), which can then cause clipping.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 11:49:15 am
For using "Custom Orthographic"(as Kevjon does) there is an issue when using zoom tools (such as "Window Zoom View" or "Best Fit"(on sub-objects)), as those tools are moving the camera(as if "Advance Focus....." was enabled), which can then cause clipping.
So this is why I couldn't zoom in or out in orthographic views...

• Polygon
October 06, 2017, 12:07:45 pm

I'm not experiencing any issue zooming in or out of ortho views.

I am having the same issue that Steve said with the latest test version.

Try best fit all on those views and see if it releases it.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 12:50:08 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Oct-08-17.rar

The behavior for option "Advance Focus....." has been changed. If you don't understand, steve can explain.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 01:01:36 pm

You probably have "Advanced Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming"

To use orthographic views (front/back etc) for better control of clipping:-

To zoom ortho view
Disable "Clip Plane >> App Auto set" for ortho views.
Disable "Advanced Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming"

When zooming (alt+RMB), there will be no near plane clipping.(The zoom will only be zooming between clip planes)

To move in/out/clip through objects in ortho view, enable "Advanced Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming"
 When you use alt+RMB to zoom, it will move the clip planes(it will not zoom the view), so you can(if required) clip through an object to see one behind it. Once view good, disable "Advanced Focus Point.....".

IMHO, this is better implimentation.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:10:14 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 01:24:57 pm
Thanks for the explanation, Steve. Ortho works great now, with no clipping!

I do however have a problem.
After disabling App Auto Set and Advance Focus..., now I don't seem to have any far clipping in perspective mode.

This leads to many performance and Z-depth issues and even Best Fit doesn't seem to help.

I work in single viewport only and toggle between perspective and orthographic modes with a composite tool that uses View Navigation Tools->Snap View (Orthographic) and View Navigation Tools->Custom View (Perspective)$. Alternatively, with View Navigation Tools->Perspective Orthographic View$.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:37:34 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 01:40:31 pm
After disabling App Auto Set and Advanced Focus..., now I don't seem to have any far clipping in perspective mode.

What setting do you have for far plane clipping?

Is "App auto set far plane base on scene geometry" set (what auto settings?)
If that option disabled, what manual setting for "Far" plane?

---------------------------
A possible issue that may arrise, is if you have near clip plane to manual, and far clip plane to auto, that is going to increase the clipping distance(between near/far) when zooming out.

--------------------------
At first I thought the custom-perp had broken clipping plane, because the floor grid was being clipped too early(while set to clipping "auto far"), but the object is not clipped.

-----
Sorry, been editing this post while testing, did not see below reply.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:22:33 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 02:09:54 pm
Here's a screenshot.
I'm using lower-right viewport.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 02:20:15 pm
Here's a screenshot.
I'm using lower-right viewport.

The lower right setting(for manual, which you have set) has too much of a distance between near/far.
Set near to 0.1, and far to 100, (or near 0.5 far 500, as example)
OR
Enable "App auto set far plane base on scene geometry" which will auto control far plane distance(you can keep auto settings as is)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:25:33 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 02:40:05 pm
I enabled the App auto set far plane based on scene geometry and set near/far distance to 0.01/10 (at scene scale equal to 1).

The result is on larger image.

Then I disabled all auto settings and set near/far distance to 0.01/100. Similar problems with wireframes of backfaces popping out (image with the cursor).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 02:44:51 pm
App auto set with 0.01/100 seems to work all right in perspective, but orthographic is "near-clipped" when I'm  zooming in.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
October 06, 2017, 03:33:18 pm
App auto set with 0.01/100 seems to work all right in perspective, but orthographic is "near-clipped" when I'm  zooming in.

IStonia has set this up so that the ortho view(how it clips) is decided on if "App auto set" is enabled or not. If is is, the clipping in ortho view will be same as before.

I am not sure what is happening with custom-perp wiew + clipping planes when any of the auto are disabled, I will need to test more.

---------------------------------
If you are using composite tools to change view, could they not also change viewports?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:36:18 pm by steve »