News:

Topic: create subobject/element from poly selection?  (Read 2659 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 26, 2013, 02:39:01 pm
Hi all, I'm looking for a way to create mesh elements aka subobject meshes from a selection of polygons ala "detach" in 3dsmax. I've managed to make selection groups but have yet to figure out a way to separate groups into elements/submesh -the subcomponent below object selection. Also is there a way to copy and paste selected subcomponents? Edges, Poly's elements etc?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
August 26, 2013, 04:01:49 pm
Hi 5starheat,

To detach polygons, in polygon selection mode, use "Split"

To copy/paste polygons, in polygon selection mode, use "Duplicate"

Nvil does not support/use polylines, it uses "splines", so you cannot split or duplicate edges. If you do need to copy edge geometry (for what ever reason), you can use "Geometry"-> "Create closed spline" or "Create opened spline" (from the selected edges). The spline(s) can then be used for construction/snapping purpose.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 27, 2013, 04:24:33 pm
This helped me out, thanks! Even after you told me where to look I fumbled to find the commands, especially in the button list on the right side of interface. The way the buttons are presented makes many of them visually diminished, intuitively they look disabled and my subconscious ignored them as I hunted around.