News:

Topic: bug: snapping is associated with mouse position rather than manipulator position  (Read 3713 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 05, 2013, 08:09:30 am
When enabling snapping, the snap threshold/behavior seems to be based around the mouse position instead of the manipulator position. This is especially confusing when holding down move hotkey "w" and dragging the selected components around. The selection will not snap, -ignores the position of the manipulator and will only snap if the mouse pointer gets within snapping range.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 05, 2013, 03:12:27 pm
Maya and I believe Max both work this way, with the mouse being the snap.  Why would you want it the other way?  Could you name a program that has it based on the manipulator position?

The manipulators are set to the pivot point, so if the pivot is off screen, the manipulator will be in a different location than the actual pivot.  So if it worked according to the manipulator then snapping would be a pain if the manipulator was off screen.  Also if the pivot was set to world, and you used the manipulator with snap on, and had a snap point on the origin, the selection would snap to the origin instantly, unless that's what you're going for.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 05, 2013, 05:05:36 pm
Thanks for the reply, you are right. The issue I was trying to describe is a similar problem that I've had with 3dsmax snapping in the past. A situation where the snap is triggered around the mouse position but the manipulator and selected components do not move to the snap location, instead the selection "snaps" to an offset position relative to the mouse pointer and the desired position. At the moment I can't recreate the same problem that I was having when I wrote the first post. So nothing to see here.