News:

Topic: Radial Symmetry  (Read 8168 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 07, 2012, 01:52:54 pm
I'd love to see something like this in Voidworld.  The only other app that I know of that can do Radial Symmetry in realtime is Zbrush.  It would be brilliant if it could also be used in conjunction with the regular symmetry.
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
March 07, 2012, 07:21:51 pm
I'm not sure how realtime poly detection would work and how would it be displayed.
Wouldn't it be prone to errors since poly modeling is different from sculpting?
Interesting idea, but I doubt it will be implemented.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 07, 2012, 08:25:02 pm
maybe having 2 symmetry planes, but radial symmetry like in zbrush i don't really see as practical for polygon modeling.

there are a few cases where having symmetry across the X and the Z axis would have been very usefull.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
March 07, 2012, 10:06:32 pm
Realtime Symmetry modelling would work in almost the same way the Realtime symmetry works in Voidworld at the moment.
You 'could' do the radial symmetry at the moment with instance meshes but the same could be said for symmetry.  Once I got used to realtime symmetry on a connected mesh I hate having to instance my geo at all now.  Being able to instantly visualise the model in it's entirety really speeds things up in my experience.

I'm a little surprised at you passerby that you can't see any practical use for this in polygon modelling.

partial Radial Symmetry would be pretty cool too.  Define start and end point > Set number of divisions; for instance half circles.

To be honest I have no idea how computationally expensive it could get in some scenes but I would still find hundred uses for it per project I'm sure.

Maybe having 2 or 3 (why not?) symmetry planes is essential in Voidworld too.  The amount of times I've needed that makes my head explode.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:08:48 pm by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist