News:

Topic: Asset Browser & Improve array  (Read 8490 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 25, 2013, 03:05:14 am
Hi guys thanks for the hard work.

Is it possible to have a asset browser so that if I am making a mecha and I have some parts stored in my PC I could just drop and drag them into the scene, the asset browser must have "Favorites/Bookmarks" and the normal navigation in Windows also some thumbnails of the OBJ. Next is some minor upgrade array offset for example I could off the array in X axis to Z/Y axis so that I could make a straight stair case or a spiral one instead of making a spline and following it. Also is it possible to make a reduce tool? Example I have a really long cylinder and I have so many edges in between and I don't need them to have that instead of deleting them one by one I could just click the first edge and the last edge and delete the edges in between on a particular axis or something better.

Thanks again:)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 25, 2013, 10:08:31 am
Is it possible to have a asset browser
There is the object library, that may be OK for what you are looking for?.

Next is some minor upgrade array offset for example I could off the array in X axis to Z/Y axis so that I could make a straight stair case or a spiral one instead of making a spline and following it.
I do not think you can actually make a (correct) spiral staircase with current implementation, even with a spline.(well not straight forward with array).
IMHO, rather than having the "Radial Instance", it would of been far better to have added options to the "Array", with a defined center(user input/manipulator) and angular/scale incremental offsets, as I have seen in other applications that make such a task(such as a staircase/ spiral staircase) extremely easy for the user to create.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 25, 2013, 10:20:43 am
Where can I find the Object Library? And yes we need a better user input in the array because of this I had to use blender to make a simple scene. We need input like rotation offset and translate offset and maybe a scale offset.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 25, 2013, 10:29:27 am
Where can I find the Object Library?
There is info about setting up/using the object library in my last post on this thread-> Link

And yes we need a better user input in the array because of this I had to use blender to make a simple scene.
I totally agree.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2013, 04:51:46 am
array bumped:)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
September 22, 2013, 05:28:53 am
Can you make a video describing your array needs?

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2013, 06:16:29 am
sure:) wait I will make one

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2013, 08:26:06 am
hi here it is. Sorry for bad quality I don't know any recorder software that is good.

here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B263JrGoxFDZQk5NWURWZ3JDbTQ/edit?usp=sharing

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 22, 2013, 10:55:05 am
I do not think you can actually make a (correct) spiral staircase with current implementation, even with a spline.(well not straight forward with array).
I did miss a way to make a spiral staircase, which I found after making that post (but forgot to post update).

I used "Instance-> Spline", using a straight spline and made the spiral using "Twist"

I know this is probably not what is wanted, but thought to correct my previous statement.

On that example, you can (while the instance tool still active) edit(change) the position of the step to increase/decrease the radius of the spiral. You can also edit the length of the spline to change offset distance.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:00:16 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 22, 2013, 12:21:34 pm
I was looking more at this.

From the point of using a bend modifier (as with Blender), then a case of having to create the straight stair case first (Possibly) by Array-> Spline

Then using Spline modify to create spline.

Certainly not a quick solution.

-------------------------------

In another application I use, I would use "Multiple copies" function, which allows me to make incremental offsets in distance / Rotation (and scale).

Simple example:-

Create box

To create straight staircase, Using "Multiple copies", I would simply add incremental offset is Y/Z and number of copies:-

To create spiral steps, I would remove Z offset:-

Then add Incremental Rotation offset to Y (Center of radius by default at world center, but that can be changed)

Then increase number of copies to suit:-

-----------------------------

Please Note:
I am not trying to push forward workarounds, or requesting a specific implementation. I am just showing how I would create in Nvil compared to how I would create the same(staircase/ spiral staircase) in another application.

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2013, 12:27:41 pm
I also like the idea of having rotations.

also can you also add spline primitives like box, line, cirlce etc thanks. or if I can do it in composite i would to know how to do it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:33:07 pm by arvin00 »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 22, 2013, 01:15:43 pm
Hi arvin00,

also can you also add spline primitives like box, line, cirlce etc thanks. or if I can do it in composite i would to know how to do it.

You can create shaped splines (like circles squares etc) from geometry. Such as, for a circle spline, create a "N-polygon", select its outer edge loop, then "Geometry-> Create closed Spline".

You can then save the spline to the object library if you want to store/save it for later use.

Have a look at this thread:- http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,1611.0.html

Is that what you are looking for?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:26:30 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 22, 2013, 02:46:10 pm
oh yeah thanks, i thought it could only save meshes so i did not bothered using before well anyway thanks again