News:

Topic: export Splines as Curves  (Read 9617 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 16, 2012, 09:44:28 am
I love the option to extract splines (Create Spline) from Edge-Selections. But I realize that they do not export in .obj-Format. Such could turn out very helpful for me.
Polylines would work but any sort of smooth Curve type would even be better.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 20, 2012, 08:24:25 am
Does Rhino import splines from dxf files which have splines described as fit points, start tangents and end tangents?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 20, 2012, 12:20:50 pm
Don't even think this is possible with the obj format

did some testing with max maya and blender, and in all 3 of them if i exported a curve it would just converted to geometry, and export out a edge with a bunch of verts in it.

when i imported back into max the obj i exported out, it figured out it was originally a line and put it as that type, but it still had a ton of extra verts defining it;s shape instead of being nicely curved.

in blender i was able to export a nurbs curve, and have it import back to blender fine and import to maya, but max still couldn't handle it, and i wasn't able to make maya export a nurbs curve to OBJ.

and in all of the packages i tested there was none of them that could export bezier curves like VW uses, without it being converted to Geometry.

it still would be helpfull if the curve was converted to just a polyline, since in maya i got scripts for converting edge selections to curves just like in VW, so the polyline could be used as a base for recreating the original curve.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:23:11 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 21, 2012, 12:21:29 pm
Does Rhino import splines from dxf files which have splines described as fit points, start tangents and end tangents?

I think the .dxf route is save. Rhino is very often used by Architects in conjunction with AutoCad, therefore
it will very likely import the Start-Tangent/End-Tangent Curves nicely.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 21, 2012, 12:27:58 pm
Don't even think this is possible with the obj format
Hi Passerby,
you may be correct here - at least I also can not export extracted Edges in Silo when using the .obj-format. It here only works in .dxf (as polylines). I thought that .obj was actually able to hold Nurbs and for that purpose it actually should be able to deal with smooth Curves too...
Anyway, I was fine with .dxf too.