News:

Topic: Universal Options Dialog Behaviour  (Read 6396 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 16, 2012, 09:38:42 am
I have set up Silo in a way that pressing a hotkey starts all commands without Dialogs and Options. I also prefer to work with nothing appart from the Viewport visible.

If I - in the middle of a Command realize that I need more options - that I need to change to another Extrude-Type(say by Face and not by Region)... I can then bring up the Options-Dialog for all Commands with just a single universal hotkey.

This options Dialog doesn't get Focus right away - so one can also savely ignore it and just use it as a Readout for the currently set options and go ahead with the default Tool action.

But one can of course also dial in other values into the fields of the Options Dialog. When not moved this window automatically disappears again when picking the next command. When moving it, it loses its Popup-Window-Character and stays permanently visible. It then stays where it is and only gets populated with the options of the currenly active command.

I realize that many many options are covered by using the Streamline-Tools - still I am looking for this sort of universal Options-Dialog behaviour. Doable?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 16, 2012, 12:24:40 pm
this can be done per tool, by default i believe caps lock is set to redirect, which redirects a key meant for a streamline tool to the Visual version.

like say in my case where i got bevel on B if i just hold B i get bevel, but if i hold caps lock than tap B i get the GUI version of that tool.

this can be rebound too, in the customize tools window in the Common Shortcut tools section thre is the redirect modifier.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 16, 2012, 12:35:38 pm
I'll have a look. So this is what "redirect" means - I still have quite some troubles with the Terminology used.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 16, 2012, 12:38:09 pm
ya all defualt streamline tools got the redirect in them for the visual verison by default, and when you create a streamline tool you got the option to add a redirect to a visual tool or command of your choice.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 16, 2012, 02:27:52 pm
Before I try this out: What you describe is not exactly what I want. I'd like to call the Options for Tool with a command already running. I hit Z for Extrude and see that it is set to "by region". Now I press my universal Hotkey and it gives me the Options for the already running command - does that work too? The version you describe requires that that one already knows precisely what one needs before even calling a command.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:31:45 pm by polyxo »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 16, 2012, 03:06:43 pm
dont think that is possible unelss you want to dump streamline tool compleaty.

streamline tools are separate from the visual versions with the exception of the redirect they have.

so to do what you want you would need to rebind the keys all the the visual versions and open the sidebar, which would show the properties of the currently active tool at all times.

but that would be a trade off since you would lack things like sticky keys, and some other stuff that is olny on streamline tools.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 16, 2012, 04:27:01 pm
Ok, that sounds like a nasty effort to try! Thanks again.
Still I believe that it actually makes more sense to be able to open Options after having picked the Command. Maybe Istonia has an idea on how to do this.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 16, 2012, 06:57:49 pm
maybe just do what blender does, and have a little panel that show the parameters of the last used action or command.

but ya from maya im kinda use to being able to edit thigns after the fact, even if it was several actions back.

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 17, 2012, 08:39:45 am
Well, for me it's basically the idea that one could work with nothing but a screwdriver in the hand.
When realizing that this screwdriver does not fit for one task one then could quickly load all sorts of other bits for this screwdriver - but please without dropping the workpiece :).

The behaviour which first requires pressing Caps means that you already know what screw is waiting for you. But that's probably an unrealistic expectation.