News:

Topic: Specialized edge loop tool, bend deformer, and lattice work  (Read 10342 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 18, 2013, 04:34:43 pm
Would it be possible to have a edge loop tool that can select every X faces?  For example if I had a cylinder with 10 faces I would have the option to select the whole face loop, 10 faces, or every other face, 5 faces, or every other other face making it either be 3 or 4 faces with a toggle letting you chose to have the start and end have a buffer.

The method of selecting is already very fast, but a little touch like this would speed some areas up while modeling certain hard surface models such as guns or meshes that require lattice work.

Also, would it be possible to add a bend deformer and lattice work?

The extrude is excellent for keeping volumes, so for now it's a decent workaround for a bend deformer, but on moving objects with a certain arc path I don't see a fail proof way yet.

Thanks and sorry for so many requests in one post! :)

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 18, 2013, 06:43:20 pm
Have you checked the help documentation for Selection Tools?  The Pattern Selection options may accomplish some of what you're after.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 19, 2013, 02:52:25 pm
Thanks!  I didn't see it because I was searching inside Nvil for a tool with pattern in the name because I read it somewhere on here, didn't think it was just selection based.  This method is way better than what I thought of, although I have to deselect faces if I only want the top, but that's not an issue.

I found a work around for the lattice though, even though it's a bad workaround.  I'm offsetting the verts at a gradual slope, it's a real pain, but if anyone knows a workaround for lattices that doesn't involve directly altering the offset numbers it'd be appreciated.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 19, 2013, 04:17:24 pm
The extrude is excellent for keeping volumes, so for now it's a decent workaround for a bend deformer, but on moving objects with a certain arc path I don't see a fail proof way yet.

You can extrude to path(spline), so just a case of creating the spline first as needed. In the extrude options(visual tools) there is an option to "Snap to spline", enable that and MMB on spline, that gives a popup with various options.

There is also the Vertex tool "Spline modify" you may want to look at.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 19, 2013, 04:19:42 pm
I found a work around for the lattice though, even though it's a bad workaround.  I'm offsetting the verts at a gradual slope, it's a real pain, but if anyone knows a workaround for lattices that doesn't involve directly altering the offset numbers it'd be appreciated.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you could post more info, or an example, that would help.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 19, 2013, 04:31:59 pm
steve check out the lattice modifier in blender or 3ds max, or maya that is what he wants.

it lets you deform one mesh, by moveing control points on a other special kinda mesh.

i can illustrate how it works later today by makeing a video of the lattice deformer in maya for you
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:33:50 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 19, 2013, 05:14:41 pm
steve check out the lattice modifier in .....

I have used a lattice modifier in various applications, it can be used for various functions.
Although NVIL does not have a "Lattice" there are various tools that be used giving similar results to some of its functions.
I was just asking for more info to see what tools/functions are available to possibly give the results wanted.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 20, 2013, 03:55:13 am
Once I get the chance I'll post pictures of the results I'm trying to reach with the lattice and the workaround I'd use with my current knowledge.

I tried the spline extrude before and it seemed like the extrude using curves in maya, which is nice, but not exactly what I'm looking for(from a glance at least, I'll test it more if that's not the case). The main thing I'm wondering is how I would make a tire or another similar mesh that wraps around a certain point, for the bend.  In maya I'd just make the base tread and then duplicate transform X times and then combine and then apply a bend deformer and merge the two ends.  Creating curved meshes isn't a problem in Nvil, but making an already made conplex mesh curved seems like a hassle at the moment.

Thanks for the quick responses by the way! ;D

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 04:43:23 am
The main thing I'm wondering is how I would make a tire or another similar mesh that wraps around a certain point, for the bend.

Have a look at "Spline Modify", that will allow you to bend/deform a mesh in 2d/3d.

Quick example.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 20, 2013, 09:17:10 am
Alright, well, no need for a bend modifier, or even a lattice for that matter, thanks Steve.  It took a bit, but I finally got the hang of the spline modify tool for the most part.  For the most part the spline modify tool will cover everything I need lattice wise, and is nicer than the bend modifier in Maya.  The only issue with the spline modify tool, which I'll just work around until (If?) a lattice tool is added is the lack of control once you hit enter.  If there was a way to have two path splines inside the spline modify tool that'd almost fix the need of lattices.  And speaking of workarounds using splines...is there a way to use splines in a similar fashion in the way the BiRail tool worked with curves in maya?  All I can think of is make two splines, snap a poly plane and form it to the curves, slice it down the center, snap that to a third spline, bevel the center edge for roundness.  Would there be a simpler way?  Or better yet, would there be a way other than to model it or to just snap to a complex array of curves and then move the verts to in-between positions, I tried beveling the middle edges, it doesn't keep a consistent distance to the bordering edges, so a nice smooth center isn't possible this way.  In the picture, the 1/2 of the model with a nicer topo is what I'd expect from 1/2 of the BiRail.

This case where I'd use Mayas BiRail tool is another case I could use the lattice tool, but seems like old fashioned modeling would be required to get the result  :-\ . I know this is a simple case, but It really has a ton of uses, I'm only thinking about modeling a car currently, but I'm sure other models would benefit just as much with some nice lattice work.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 11:02:18 am
Hi mvolpa,

I do not use Maya, so do not know how it's tools function.

NVIL does lack surface tools such as bi-rails, patch surface, coons surface etc, so it can sometimes be best to use a programme that as such functions.
If you do not have such a programme, or prefer to try and use just NVIL, then there are some workarounds, but I would need to know the specifics of what is being attempted.

For a very quick, simple example of surface creation in NVIL.

I want to create a surface between 3 curves.

I create the curves(Splines)

Use "Retopo" to join(loft) the curves

Add "Edge loops" and use "Curve loop"

• No avatar
  • Vertex
July 20, 2013, 03:30:30 pm
Thanks Steve!  I really appreciate it, and that's the desired result.  Yeah I know I can't expect Nvil to have all the features I need, that's why I asked for a few, but honestly I don't see the real use of them anymore (other than a lattice tool  ;)) because of the workarounds you provided.

Also I'd just rather turn to use Nvil because of the customization, how certain tools function, all the tools that are common to me that I've found function as needed and have a little bonus in the way they're used, and as far as I can tell, lack of crashes from tools.  Also the translate tool is one of the best I've seen yet, in Maya I thought it was great how you could move an axis by middle mouse clicking the screen, or by left clicking an axis and middle mouse clicking the screen to move in that direction, but Nvil took that to another level with it's right click translate streamline tool.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 20, 2013, 06:12:37 pm
Yeah I know I can't expect Nvil to have all the features I need, that's why I asked for a few,......

Hi mvolpa,

Of course you can ask for tools/functions, I was just putting forward some workarounds.
Sometimes workarounds can be great to find/use, other times it is a complete pain not having a specific tool which can achieve a function very quickly/easily.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 20, 2013, 08:55:18 pm
Great examples of the lofted surfaces, Steve!  Thanks for putting those up.  I usually leave that kind of thing to CAD/nurbs software, but the output doesn't kindly translate to SubD without some help, so it's great to see I've got some options in Nvil.  I would absolutely love to see a more fully-featured nurbs toolset in NVil in the future that includes the options you mentioned - patch surfaces and bi-rail sweeps in particular.