News:

Topic: scale recommendations  (Read 3243 times)

• Edge
June 03, 2013, 05:34:12 pm
Hey guys,

I haven't really given much thought to scale in Nvil, and was wondering what you guys used? import/export scale doesn't matter enormously to me at the moment since I always take my models into Blender before I export them to the 3d engine.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
June 03, 2013, 11:40:37 pm
depends on engine, for source and udk i juse use generic unit, and bring in a character model for scale reference, for work with unity i use meters.

• Edge
June 04, 2013, 08:01:31 am
Right, but I don't care about engine scale :D

I'm just asking at which scale settings and model size you find Nvil works best. In the model selection thread it was brought up that problems might be scale related.

• Edge
June 05, 2013, 11:49:36 am
I've played around with it, and now I can't rotate when I'm zoomed in on my model. It just sticks to one axis of rotation, and kind of zooms the camera in and out as well. Very strange, probably to do with precision, so I'll need to try some other scale settings. Hence: what are you guys using, what works for you?

I'm also having issues with black points and lines, and this is probably related to scale as well. I had auto scene scale on, but that just always seemed to reset the scale to 0.1, so I'm not sure how that's meant to work.

Here's an image of that:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17715/vw_blacklines.jpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:56:27 am by mightypea »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 13, 2013, 11:26:09 am
I've played around with it, and now I can't rotate when I'm zoomed in on my model. It just sticks to one axis of rotation, and kind of zooms the camera in and out as well.

You have zoomed in too close. If you are having to zoom in that close that it is causing that issue, then your model is too small. (I found out the same way lol).

Probably the easiest way to set scene scale is to first decide the unit size. Set that to the smallest size you are going to need. For example. I am building a large model, but some of the detail will be 1 or 2 mm. So I set units to 1 = 1mm (or leave it at generic, and remember 1 unit = 1 mm) You can then add a box to scene and size it to the finished full size of the model, and set "View -> Auto scene scale enabled". If the current scale is incorrect, NVIL will change scene scale and you will see the grid change size(changes intervals). You can then set the grid intervals to what you need. (you can also disable auto scene scale if you want to).