News:

Topic: Need help on surface snapping  (Read 3698 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 02, 2013, 05:27:33 am
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to do surface snapping in Nvil. In Silo, I could select a bunch of vertices and have every one of them snap to the target surface, I put up a video to show what I mean: http://youtu.be/xU1Wo7SWqD4

In Nvil, I have a sphere in the scene, and another object with a few faces (like in the screen shot below). So I want to snap those faces to the sphere. I also like to use the tweak tool. I turn on face snapping. It all works very well, but I also want the sphere to be transparent. When I turn on transparency on the sphere, the snapping doesn't work anymore.

So my question is
1. How do I have transparency on and have the face snapping work
2. How do I select a bunch of vertices and have them snap on to the target surface with just a nudge ( like in my video )?

• Triangle
June 02, 2013, 06:48:17 am
My suggestion for now would be to use the retopo mode (toggle retopo mode enabled). Select your snapping target, and in the scene explorer, go to the tab >Retopo Reference List<, hit "Add from Scene Selection". You can make the target transparent. Select the mesh you want to modify, and everyting you do will snap to the retopo reference. What I just noticed is, that the manipulation will be view-dependent. This is someewhat unfortunate.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 02, 2013, 07:42:56 am
Thanks Vaquero! I thought about checking out retopo sooner or later, but the documentation is a bit hard to understand for me. I thought that to retopo something, I need to go into edge mode and use the retopo tool in the visual tool, which is not very appealing... I didn't knew it was this easy :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 02, 2013, 08:04:23 am
miica, you may have the "Edit > Options > Ignore Wire/Transparent Polygons On Selection" on so you can't snap to transparent surface. Also you can use the "Align" tool to snap selected vertices onto surface, subobject mode > Geometry > Common Commands n Tools > Align. See "Help > Contents > Modeling > Vertex Section > Mesh Vertex > Align Vertex" for more information.

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • White-creatures
June 02, 2013, 10:24:37 am
Thanks Kun, the align vertex seems to be more precise, I will take a look. I also found the streamline surface align, will play with those later.

I have the 'Ignore Wire/Transparent Polygons On Selection' set to off, but the face snapping still doesn't work on transparent surface :(

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 03, 2013, 08:59:21 am
The option should work on polygon snapping now.