News:

Topic: how to extrude/inset/etc by individual polygon in streamline tool?  (Read 3275 times)

• Edge
May 06, 2013, 06:05:58 pm
Extrude by default extrudes by polygon selection, how can I get the streamline tool to extrude (and inset/bevel/etc) to extrude by Individual Polygon without using the visual tool?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 06, 2013, 06:31:29 pm
Press/hold down the space_bar before extruding/Inset.

Just to add for clarity:-

Press hotkey, for example "S" for inset, RMB+drag will inset selection.
Press hotkey "S", press/hold space_bar, RMB+drag will inset individual.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:48:34 pm by steve »

• Edge
May 06, 2013, 07:21:39 pm
Ooooh. Thanks! Bit hard to find, but it seems to work. Might be a nice thing to toggle while already using the tool, but this works.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 06, 2013, 07:27:16 pm
For extrude, you can use "Space_bar" to toggle between selection/individual(tap the space_bar). But with "Inset" the space_bar toggle will toggle direction styles.

• Edge
May 06, 2013, 07:31:44 pm
The extrude tool just switches between extruding along the average normal or individual normals, but not individual polygons. It does when I press space before dragging as you said.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 06, 2013, 07:40:05 pm
It appears to only work on objects where all polygons are selected. Try a basic box or sphere.

Just checking again.
If you start with extruding individual polygons (with space_bar pressed), release space_bar, but with mouse button still pressed, you can then toggle with space_bar.

Not sure why it works like that.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:43:36 pm by steve »

• Edge
May 06, 2013, 08:29:30 pm
I would have also expected it to work with (for instance) scaling, which it does not.

I tried the extrude thing by the way; It doesn't. It just toggles between extruding along the average normal or individual normals. The former will just look like it's extruding the polygons joined, but select just one and move it, you'll see they're all seperate.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:32:08 pm by mightypea »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 06, 2013, 09:03:36 pm
I would have also expected it to work with (for instance) scaling, which it does not.
For scaling polygons (individual/groups of polygons), there is the streamline tool "Misc Sub_object tools"(N), that allows for local scaling/rotation.

I tried the extrude thing by the way; It doesn't. It just toggles between extruding along the average normal or individual normals. The former will just look like it's extruding the polygons joined, but select just one and move it, you'll see they're all seperate.
Ah, sorry, I missed that.

• Edge
May 06, 2013, 09:17:04 pm
Ah, a separate streamline tool. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Might get to be a bit unweildy though, right? If every applicable tool needs secondary version which works on individual polygons. I'd expect to see it in the pivot options, although I agree that switching pivots all the time is certainly less pleasant than just pressing space.