News:

Topic: Help Clean modelling  (Read 6357 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2013, 10:52:39 am
How do I make the top faces here in this picture have the same size? This would help me in cleaning my models as well as having consistent polygons. Example of things I would like to model : modelling a collar/or something similar around the neck of a character. Please ask if you don't understand what I am saying. Thank you

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2013, 11:35:09 am
scaleing you extruded out in local space on 1 axis.  or creating it all as a strip of polys, than extrudeing out on the normals, to give it depth.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2013, 11:54:23 am
I don't quit understand what you mean sorry:(

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2013, 01:07:54 pm
does this help.

just model it flat with planes, than extrude or shell it.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2013, 01:21:43 pm
I kinda get it thanks!!

another question?

How can I make my face cleaner? I see wireframes of some models in the internet and I find their faces clean where as my models are not, is relax the only option to do this?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2013, 01:26:12 pm
got any examples?

and do you mean on organic models, characters, or hard surface models? Since each got there own approaches and limitations based on there usage.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:30:00 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2013, 01:34:53 pm
the other one is much cleaner than the other, I made the bad one:(

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 09, 2013, 01:36:44 pm
Retopology, they made there highPoly Sculpt first, than built nice even lowpoly geometry on top of it. most retopolgy tools can make this pretty easy for you, but there still is a lot of hand tweaking, and some soft selection and relaxing going on too.

but your 2nd picture appears to be first made in zbrush, as a sculpt, than taking into a retopo app like 3dcoat or topogun, to have the lowPoly made on top of it. Than all the fine detail from the sculpt was baked to AO and normalMaps on the lowPoly.

Also a other major consideration with character modeling and making the topology flow in a way good for deformation and animation
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:47:51 pm by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 09, 2013, 01:54:44 pm
Hi arvin00,

I see wireframes of some models in the internet and I find their faces clean where as my models are not, is relax the only option to do this?

The tools I use quite a lot for cleaning up mesh flow are:-

Curve Loop: (Sub_object selection: Geometry-> Common Commands n Tools->)
Space Loop: (Sub_object selection: Geometry-> Common Commands n Tools->)
Loop Tidy: (Edge selection: Geometry-> Loop Tidy->) There are 3, Advanced/Mid position/Standard.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:01:12 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 09, 2013, 11:10:08 pm
Hi arvin00,

I see wireframes of some models in the internet and I find their faces clean where as my models are not, is relax the only option to do this?

Loop Tidy: (Edge selection: Geometry-> Loop Tidy->) There are 3, Advanced/Mid position/Standard.

I had not noticed curve loop before. plenty to learn in NVIL.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 11, 2013, 09:47:54 am
Hi arvin00,

I've tried all of them but don't really know what they are for, can anyone please explain them to me thanks.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 11, 2013, 04:10:56 pm
Hi arvin00,

I've tried all of them but don't really know what they are for, can anyone please explain them to me thanks.

For "Curve Loop" and "Space Loop" have a look in the help file "Help-> Contents"-> "Modeling-> Common Command Tools"
For "Loop Tidy" "Help-> Contents"-> "Modeling-> Edge section-> Edge Commands".

I will add an example to try and help.

I want to add a collar(or similar) around the neck of a character.

I have my (partial)character loaded, and have created a simple (blue)ring of polygons. I have placed it central over the neck.

Here I have moved a number of edges (6 in this example) and aligned them manually (using move/rotate) to (above) the surface of the character, placing them where needed.

With those 6 edges(the ones I moved/aligned to character) selected, I use "Curve Loop". That will use those selected edges and transform the other edges into a curve between them.

The result is OK< but the spacing between the edges are not equal. So selecting the outer edge loops (the 2 edge loops going around the neck), I use "Space Loop" which evens out the distance.

Just ask if anything not clear, or you have further questions.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 11, 2013, 11:36:56 pm
Steve You are the Man. :)

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 12, 2013, 12:23:19 am
Thanks for the explanation really appreciate it.

How about this --->> Loop Tidy: (Edge selection: Geometry-> Loop Tidy->) There are 3, Advanced/Mid position/Standard.

thanks again:)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 03:08:01 am
Hi arvin00,

OK. the "Loop Tidy".

At times, you may well end up with a mesh that is untidy. I am just showing a very simple example of a small surface with untidy loops. (but it should show you how it works)

Here is the simple mesh:-

You could of course look at "Relax" to relax the loops, which can look OK.
Here I have used "Relax" on that mesh:-

But, there is a problem with using "Relax", in that it will pull the mesh.
If I take the original mesh and show it over the top of the relaxed mesh (I have made the original transparent so you can see). You can see that the relaxed mesh as pulled in(shrunk).
(Original mesh (in this pic) with white edges)

If that was, for example, a piece of clothing for a character, the chances are you would now have poke through, with a need to further edit.

Now lets look at "Loop Tidy".

With "Loop Tidy" rather than the mesh being pulled, it will slide the edges over the surface of the mesh, so the mesh will better maintain shape.

There are 3 tools, but 2 main functions. There are "Loop Tidy Standard" and "Loop Tidy Mid Position"

Here I have used "Loop Tidy Standard" on that mesh. (Just selected all the edges and used that tool several times)
You will see that the loops are now straighten, but the (different) gaps between the loops are still maintained.

If I now show the original shape over the top, you will see (due to the original mesh being transparent) that the 2 surfaces of the 2 mesh are intersecting each other. So the shape has not been pulled in.

With "Loop Tidy Mid Position", that will again slide the edges, but this time will even up the spacing between the loops.

If again, I place over the original shape, the 2 mesh are again intersecting. So the "Loop Tidy Mid Position" as not pulled the mesh.

When using those 2 tools, they may need to be used more than once on the mesh, sometimes maybe many times (depending on the state of the mesh to start with). In such a case, you can use "Loop Tidy Advanced", which is those 2 tools, but with the option to set Iterations (How many times the tool will be used).

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:18:31 am by steve »