News:

Topic: Can't select inside components when in wireframe mode [SOLVED]  (Read 3446 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 10:02:58 am
On the attached image, there are two pipes intersecting each other, each one belonging to the same mesh. I have wireframe turned on, but I can't select components of the pipe #1. Pipe #2 behaves like it was in shaded mode, its faces preventing me from selecting any components of pipe #1 that it covers.
When I try using marquee - they get preselected when inside the marquee, but get deselected immediately after I complete the operation.

Is it a bug, or an option driven behaviour that can be changed with one of NVil commands?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:41:01 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 10:13:50 am
The front mesh blocks the selection of subobjects behind it. I will give an option so if the mesh is wire or transparent, the blocking won't happen. For now, you can use ray cast selection.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 10:18:46 am
Okay thank you IStonia. :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 11:18:21 am
Well, you can uncheck Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection Enabled.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 12:58:21 pm
Tried the new version, but I'm afraid I don't see that much of a difference with Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection disabled.
In wireframe shading mode components are still occluded and I can't select them even though they're clearly visible.

EDIT:
The unselectable components are backfaces or vertices/edges laying on backfacing polygons. So yes, the "Subobject occlusion (...)" option allows for selection of occluded components, but only those facing the camera.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:17:56 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 01:34:22 pm
Expected behaviour of selection operation when in wireframe mode: http://youtu.be/txeEs7NFdM8

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 02:03:28 pm
The new "Subobject Occlusion (...)" option isn't limited to wireframe mode only. It selects occluded components in shaded mode too and this is not good. Why? Well, because if you forget to turn this option off and have your manipulator's position set to world or object mode, you might end up selecting components you didn't want too, mess up parts of your model and don't even realise this until later. Out of sight, out of mind. ::)
That's why I think this option should apply exclusively to "wireframe shading mode" and "individual wireframe shading mode", because in these modes you clearly see what you select. But of course this is just a suggestion. :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 06:35:29 pm
Expected behaviour of selection operation when in wireframe mode: http://youtu.be/txeEs7NFdM8

Check 'Edit > Options > Ignore Wired/Transparent Polygon On Selection'.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2013, 07:51:20 pm
You mean this option was there for the whole time? :o
I'm sorry for creating a confusion then. I better book myself a visit at the oculist's...