News:

Topic: UV mapping Upgrade  (Read 5718 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 27, 2013, 02:48:29 am
When will UV mapping be upgraded?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 27, 2013, 03:40:56 am
I can't give you a date. It is a huge task. I need to do big coding changes to the program then buid up the uv features from scratch.

• Triangle
March 28, 2013, 09:07:59 pm
I am happy to read that there are plans for it!

• No avatar
  • Triangle
August 19, 2013, 11:29:25 pm
What you did six months later?
thanks

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 20, 2013, 07:14:29 am
He has been fixing bugs and improving the program. What have you done in six months with voidworld/nvil?

There are a couple of very good uv unwrappers in the market. On the paid side there is 3dcoat, uv layout, unfold3d, and many more. And on the free side there is roadkill, blender, and a couple more that I cannot remember. Even if nvil has it's own uv unwrapper I do not think that it is worth focusing the time and energy on reinventing the wheel. UNLESS, it is a very good wheel that can compete with the other seasoned unwrappers.

Same goes for animation. There are many good animation packages out there that it is not worth spending the time creating one from scratch, unless it has an advantage over the other seasoned packages. Right now nvil is doing a good job perfecting the modeling tools. That is my opinion. I have tried many modeling applications before and nvil has a very nice workflow similar to silo3d (unfortunately the development came to a stop). So I am very happy with the improvements and dedication that Istonia / DigitalFossils has done. Keep up the great work and continue thinking on how to make things better.

• Triangle
August 21, 2013, 08:55:21 pm
Even if nvil has it's own uv unwrapper I do not think that it is worth focusing the time and energy on reinventing the wheel. UNLESS, it is a very good wheel that can compete with the other seasoned unwrappers.

I'm counting on NVil being superior to other applications in the future concerning UV mapping. For me it just makes sense to take what NVil is doing for modelling and apply it to UV mapping. Of course that means to take an awful lot from other programs and then improve upon that.
I prefer to stay in one software for mapping and not having to import/export that often.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
August 21, 2013, 09:10:14 pm
Vaquero, +1000

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 22, 2013, 01:31:39 am

I'm counting on NVil being superior to other applications in the future concerning UV mapping. For me it just makes sense to take what NVil is doing for modelling and apply it to UV mapping. Of course that means to take an awful lot from other programs and then improve upon that.
I prefer to stay in one software for mapping and not having to import/export that often.

NVil still needs more improvements and features in the modeling sector such as splines, 64 bits, and what not. I think that it is better to make NVil good at one thing than trying to make it good at everything.

I know that importing and exporting the models to different applications is a pain in the ass, but I am sure that it is much easier than to create a kick ass uv unwrapping algorithm for NVil. Nevertheless, I have faith that DigitalFossils will create a kick ass uv unwrapper in the future when the time is right. That is my opinion.

What you did six months later?
thanks

What have you done in six months with voidworld/nvil?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 27, 2014, 05:31:25 am
Hi,

It has been a year since I asked for UV mapping upgrade and you replied you where working on it, I am just wondering if you are going to release the upgraded UV mapping in NVil any time soon?

Thanks.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 27, 2014, 09:27:18 am
I don't think it can happen anytime soon. It will involves a lot of changes and needs a lot of time, maybe a few months of full time commitment at least. But currently I have to work full time to keep my living going.