News:

Topic: Tips on Environment Modelling  (Read 10250 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 08:31:30 pm
I started using Nvil and I find a great modelling software, Organic modelling is fantastic and I can create the models faster than any software I used before. I'm just gonna ask if anyone tried doing architectural modelling or environment modelling, can anyone give me tips and trick. Thanks in advance.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 08:56:04 pm
I'm beginner in 3d and i simply to start to do a model with the wood barrel  :)
http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,1134.0.html

Tips...Even dont know. Better simply start and ask if you will be have any questions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:59:29 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 09:21:53 pm
My bad for this stupid post, I was vague and did not give enough information for others to help me. Sorry about this post:(.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 09:31:42 pm
I have little experience to advise. I watch a video on youtube about modeling in Maya, 3dsmax. And try to understand. No need to apologize  :)

Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 26, 2013, 10:04:00 pm
Hi arvin00,

My bad for this stupid post, I was vague and did not give enough information for others to help me. Sorry about this post:(.

Do not be sorry :)

Have you got something more specific in mind? I do build environments/scenes/buildings in NVIL. I will try to help if you can give me a possible example of something you would like to build.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 10:11:51 pm
Hi steve,

May you anything to show? Or all under the NDA?

sorry for offtop.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 26, 2013, 10:19:15 pm
Hi molebox,

I make the scenes/models for others. So once done, I delete them. So I do not have anything I can show you.

Pick a picture of the web of a building (or similar), and I will build it.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 10:28:31 pm
ok, thanks steve.
p.s. don't delete a models, you will create the portfolio =)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 26, 2013, 11:50:22 pm
Thanks for the reply everyone..

How do I model perfect shapes? Example: I want to extrude a cylindrical shape in a object, modelling this has different kind of methods example in maya I can lineup a cylindrical object and snap vertices to create the shape. I would just like to know how to do this with less work or work more efficient. Boolean is pretty bad in topology so I stay away from it but if you have any idea in working with boolean and having good topology I would like to know.

Thanks in advance, happy to know that this community is pretty awesome

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 27, 2013, 12:00:46 am
Hi arvin00,

Example: I want to extrude a cylindrical shape in a object, modelling this has different kind of methods example in maya I can lineup a cylindrical object and snap vertices to create the shape.

Extrude a cylinder from an object. Do you mean extrude from a flat plane, or from, as example another cylinder (like a pipe joint), or both?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 27, 2013, 12:09:54 am
Hi arvin00,

Example: I want to extrude a cylindrical shape in a object, modelling this has different kind of methods example in maya I can lineup a cylindrical object and snap vertices to create the shape.

Extrude a cylinder from an object. Do you mean extrude from a flat plane, or from, as example another cylinder (like a pipe joint), or both?

Sorry for the lack of explanation, for example I have a cube and I want it to have cylindrical shape extrusion on one side. Thanks for the reply.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 27, 2013, 12:11:39 am
Here is one method (there are others).

1. Create a segmented cube, or a cube and add Loop inserts.
2. Remove the front polygons of the cube.
3. Extrude (face normal direction) the open box edges.
4. Spherize selection.
5. Space loop (selection) (<- evenly spaces the edge loop around the hole)
6. Extrude.

Just ask as to any part you need more info :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:47:43 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 27, 2013, 01:00:31 am
This was an example I made a while ago of putting an hole (offset from center) through a sphere.

I used the "Align"/"surface align" tools.

(The cylinder was just put in place to show where the hole was going to be)

Is this the kind of thing you want to learn?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 27, 2013, 01:14:28 am
This was an example I made a while ago of putting an hole (offset from center) through a sphere.

I used the "Align"/"surface align" tools.

(The cylinder was just put in place to show where the hole was going to be)

Is this the kind of thing you want to learn?

Thanks for posting this Steve.
I was thinking about doing this today.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 27, 2013, 01:20:00 am
Thanks for posting this Steve.
I was thinking about doing this today.

If you need any of the steps explaining, just ask. :)