News:

Topic: Bridge question  (Read 4182 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 18, 2014, 04:38:24 am
Hi there, I finally broke down and purchased Nvil.

I was experimenting with building a house by doing a cube, cutting out the windows and doorway, then deleting face on floor and roof, then choosing shell.

I went back to try and bridge the bottom edge of door way, and couldnt seem to bridge the two edges.. or even close everything up to add a floor.

I guess i am not understanding how to use bridge in Nvil for edges.. it seems to do nothing... could someone explain how to do it?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 18, 2014, 10:28:56 am
You need to select the two items you want to bridge and "Combine" them, then they will bridge.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 18, 2014, 10:43:52 am
Hi jikito,

I was experimenting with building a house by doing a cube, cutting out the windows and doorway, then deleting face on floor and roof, then choosing shell.
That will make the object manifold (Manifold just basically means that the object is a solid with no open edges)

I went back to try and bridge the bottom edge of door way, and couldnt seem to bridge the two edges.. or even close everything up to add a floor.
Bridge will only work on open edges (on mesh within the same object)

If you could post some pics(screenshots) of where you are with the model, and which edges you are trying to bridge, I (or others) will be able to better inform you what to do.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 18, 2014, 08:23:32 pm
thanks for the help. here is basiclly the image, i made a door way and then used shell and was trying to bridge the edges after.

I was hoping to close up the floor after. how do you make an object non manifold after shell?

Also is there a way to just cut and paste an edge from a model to work on it seperatly before re welding it?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:26:19 pm by jikito »

• No avatar
  • Triangle
May 18, 2014, 08:59:01 pm

• No avatar
  • Vertex
May 18, 2014, 09:09:03 pm
Thanks for showing me that other way darc, I didnt realize i would be spoiling the geometry, I am sort of a very novice modeller =)

• Triangle
May 20, 2014, 08:08:43 pm
You wouldn't want to create non-manifold geometry. And if I am not mistaken, Nvil only supports 2-dimnensional manifolds, meaning each edge can only belong to 2 faces and must at least belong to 1 face. Some mesh data structures make that clear, for example the winged edge mesh data structure. It got its name from the fact that their edges have 2 faces on each side, like forming wings. Just imagine a bird where the body would be the edge and the wings are the faces. You don't want a third wing coming out of its back, nor do you want a bird without any wings, but the bird could lose one wing and still have another. Hm... that's grim.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 20, 2014, 08:33:50 pm
The problem again is inconsistency.

For example, you can extrude from a manifold edge, Nvil will allow that, but will leave the new extruded polygons un-welded from that manifold edge. So why not allow bridging across manifold, but leave the new polygons un-welded?

• Triangle
May 21, 2014, 11:32:23 am
The problem again is inconsistency.

For example, you can extrude from a manifold edge, Nvil will allow that, but will leave the new extruded polygons un-welded from that manifold edge. So why not allow bridging across manifold, but leave the new polygons un-welded?
Intersting point. I haven't thought of that. I can imagine that would be useful. Well, some paople may still be wondering why the edges won't get merged, that's why I find it a good practice to inform people about the underlying mesh data structure and what it can do and what not.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
May 21, 2014, 12:11:36 pm
Well, some paople may still be wondering why the edges won't get merged, that's why I find it a good practice to inform people about the underlying mesh data structure and what it can do and what not.

Sorry, but it is inconsistency and not rules of manifold that control nvil.

For a couple of very simple examples.

Create 2 box, combine them.

Create polygon across manifold edges.

Weld, creating 3 face (non manifold) edges.

Create a N-polygon

Extrude pole edges and weld

Leaves (in this example) a single mesh with 14 vertex and an edge with 6 faces.

So yes, it can be good to explain what the underlying data structure can handle, but Nvil is not controlled by manifold, just a case of tools/functions being inconsistent.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:26:00 pm by steve »