News:

Topic: create camera from current view  (Read 13408 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 09:49:34 am
I could show you how they are handled in Maya also. since it had multiple camras which can all be used as the current viewport camara as well as camera bookmarks, to quickly move 1 camera between stored settings.

personally I think Nvil only needs the later, since it is a modeling app.

with stored camera settings I would use it to quickly move to like a first person camera and fov while modeling a gun or something like that.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 10:45:36 am
Hehe.. but in Rhino I find my stuff.
I think I would have more joy with Cameras if:

- they were not listed under Geometry but under View

- one could align them to the current view by default, without a dialog requesting this

- one instead got a dialog to name that Camera and maybe at some point even a thumbnail image showing in the Scene Explorer

- one could set the camera object type to be hidden at all time. While in Nvil I would never want to see or touch Camera Widgets

- they got their own sub-section in the Scene Explorer and would not appear among the Geometry

- they would not get only get selected on click in the Scene Explorer but would actually change the view to that particular camera

That's quite a few stuff. It needs a lot of work. I can't tell if they may benifit other people, so I need to see other people's opinion.

I could show you how they are handled in Maya also. since it had multiple camras which can all be used as the current viewport camara as well as camera bookmarks, to quickly move 1 camera between stored settings.

personally I think Nvil only needs the later, since it is a modeling app.

with stored camera settings I would use it to quickly move to like a first person camera and fov while modeling a gun or something like that.

Can you make a video for this?

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 05, 2013, 11:18:06 am
That's quite a few stuff. It needs a lot of work. I can't tell if they may benifit other people, so I need to see other people's opinion.

Please don't understand it in some demanding fashion :)
I just piled up what I think made sense.

When developing Geometry, all I want is an instant option to store a certain way to look at objects, a snapshot of a perspective camera which is not locked in any way. So that one can come back later.

The question for me is: What's the merrits or the possible advantage of the current setup over what I propose?

Look at other pure modellers: Silo, Hexagon, Wings and such - they all have no Camera-Widgets to deal with.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 11:46:11 am
Look at other pure modellers: Silo, Hexagon, Wings and such - they all have no Camera-Widgets to deal with.

It is possible some one may want the camera at a particular location and orientation. You may never need it. But when you need it and it is not available... :'(

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 08:09:54 pm
The question for me is: What's the merrits or the possible advantage of the current setup over what I propose?

Just have a look at one of your suggestions, "- one could align them to the current view by default, without a dialog requesting this"

If it does like that, some one may complain for without an option. If you create cameras as often as you extrude faces, it is definitely worth to add a new entry so you can create camera at current view straight away, otherwise why not just one interface does it all.

That's why I mentioned before that I want to see other people's opinion.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 08:49:38 pm
i would keep the current system, and have a way to saving and restoring settings to it. so say im makeing some assets for a first person game, i could quickly line viewport up how i want, save those settings and restore to it later to check things out from a angle and fov similar to what i would get in the game engine.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2013, 09:53:04 pm
really short on time tonight and kinda shit this out, but here are some samples of working with cameras in maya.

i didn't bother showing the transform tools on it, but they do work like any other object when it comes to transform tools, and animation since they use the same transform node as all other objects.

but that shows how they are switched between, how to create new cameras, by duplicating the current viewport cam, and bookmarks, which let you save and restore settings on a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nejqL18OBA&feature=youtu.be

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 08, 2013, 05:25:43 pm
Thanks! I was already content with the Bookmarks :)