News:

Topic: Circularize but with custom shape  (Read 3453 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 30, 2015, 01:57:12 am
Hi

It would be very nice if we could have the option to be able to shape a group of polygons to a custom shape (defined perhaps with curves) and that the new shape follow the surface just like the circularize command do.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 01, 2015, 08:30:45 am
Can you show that in pics so I can know what it is?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 01, 2015, 12:28:14 pm
Can you show that in pics so I can know what it is?

i haven`t seen that feature in other app and i don`t have time to make some pics to show. But as i said is exactly the same thing as circularize conforming the shape but with a predefined custom shape.

Let say that instead of a circular shape i want a letter shape, or a half circular half square shape, or a completely new shape that i want to conform to the overall shape to then inset and extrude, etc.

If doing custom shape (made with curves as i said before) is out of the question for now, perhaps extend the function of conforming a group of polygons to a shape and have the option not just to circularize but to make squares shapes, stars, hexagons, octagons, etc. and of course with the option to follow the surface contour.

Thanks ;)

EDIT:
I found a tool in blender that does kind of what i was talking about. You select a set of edges or polygons of a mesh and then with a curve you can form the shape that you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekTS5BiTIT4
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:11:15 pm by yolao »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 02, 2015, 08:09:53 am
The feature in the video looks like the same as this tool in NVil

* A new streamline tool, Subobject Modify Spline Picker. Move cursor over the spline to highlight it. LMB click to link the current subobject selection to the spline. If the spline's shape is changed, the linked subobjects will be transformed accordingly. RMB click to delink the spline from any modify setup.

Posted in this thread, http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,2817.0.html

Have tried this basic streamline tool?
Circularize_Selection_Spline

• No avatar
  • Vertex
December 02, 2015, 01:19:51 pm
The feature in the video looks like the same as this tool in NVil

* A new streamline tool, Subobject Modify Spline Picker. Move cursor over the spline to highlight it. LMB click to link the current subobject selection to the spline. If the spline's shape is changed, the linked subobjects will be transformed accordingly. RMB click to delink the spline from any modify setup.

Posted in this thread, http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/topic,2817.0.html

Have tried this basic streamline tool?
Circularize_Selection_Spline

I haven`t tried until now, and yes, that`s kind of what i was talking about. I love the fact that you can click and drag or hit space bar to make changes. Very useful ;)

But i will like to make two suggestions. (i donĀ“t know Nvil inside out so maybe the suggestions are already there)

-It would be nice if there will be the option to change the curve points while still connected to the shape (edges, vertex or faces) and see the changes live like in the video. Right now i can not change the curve because is not selected and i cannot select the curve and the mesh at the same time.
And if i deselect the mesh and select the curve and make changes to it the edges, vertex or faces that were connected to the curve will not change.

-Also, like in the video, it would also be nice if we can have the option to make a selection of edges, vertices or faces and make a curve out of it with the option to set the point amount, so if for example i select a set of 30 edges i can modified those smoothly with a curve of 3 or 4 points..

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:22:37 pm by yolao »