News:

Topic: Select NGons  (Read 4170 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 06, 2013, 09:17:17 am
Hi.

In NVil there is "Divide NGon", but i don't found how to select NGons. I want simple to found and fix it, without triangulation. It is not important the feature,just keep in mind.

-------
What is Faces in HUD?
Maybe better : Vertexes, Triangles,Polygons, NGon's ?

p.s. what do you think about the new forum section, I wrote about it in PM. Maybe you/me should to create a poll?

Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 06, 2013, 10:07:03 am
windows > math selection.

set it to greater than 4 and hit select on it.

and what forum section is that? I would be the best one to pm for forum changes if wanted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:10:02 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 06, 2013, 11:08:36 am
windows > math selection.

set it to greater than 4 and hit select on it.

Great! Thank you :)

and what forum section is that? I would be the best one to pm for forum changes if wanted.
i will send you to pm.
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 06, 2013, 11:17:43 am
Hello molebox,

What is Faces in HUD?

Faces are what make polygons.
Polygons can have more than one face(underlying triangulation)
Triangle= 1 face
Quad= 2 face
N-gon = ?

Select an object and:- View-> object shading-> Object individual shading-> wire mesh
You will see the underlying triangulation (you can change that using "polygon select-> Rewind"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:29:41 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 06, 2013, 12:02:22 pm
Hello steve,

Triangle= 1 face
Quad= 2 face
N-gon = ?

Select an object and:- View-> object shading-> Object individual shading-> wire mesh
You will see the underlying triangulation (you can change that using "polygon select-> Rewind"

yes, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:21:21 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 06, 2013, 12:26:42 pm
Hello molebox,

Triangle= 1 face
Quad= 2 face
N-gon = ?
http://i.imgur.com/Gjargq9.gif

Have you ever made a model then imported it into a rendering application and found holes have been filled, or strange triangulation? That comes from the underlying faces(triangulation).
When applications handle quads/n-gons they will triangulate those polygons so that they can be rendered, but they do not always show that unless there is a problem. In NVIL, you can see and edit that underlying triangulation if wanted.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 06, 2013, 01:10:43 pm
i understand =)

Ьy object consists of :
26 of polygons and 8 of triangles   = 34 polygones

triangle  = 26*2 = 52  + 8 triangle = 60 triangles

How many faces in the object? Right, 60

therefore, Faces = Triangle that are obtained after separation of all polygons in the graphics card

Thank you steve.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 06, 2013, 09:41:17 pm
ya also the amount of verts rendered on the gpu usually varies from what hte 3d app shows too, since there is spilt verts from verts that contain multiple UV coordinates such as verts on uv seams, and verts that carry 2 vertex normals such as hard edges.