News:

Topic: [Compleated] Select Island  (Read 11156 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 12, 2011, 11:09:25 am
Thought I'd kick this off with a request for something I've wanted to do plenty of times.  The ability to expand a selection fully in a fenced off area.  This is probably best explained with an illustration.  Something from Headus' UVLayout:

You can see in this gif that I've fenced off an area on the uvlayout shell then double clicked in that area and the selection expands fully but only within that section.  Would work well on a mesh too e.g. isolate a limb on a character or on a tree model a section of brances.

cheers

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:57:36 pm by Passerby »
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 16, 2011, 09:50:35 pm
are you thinking of this tool for just the UV editor or you mean for modeling too, so you could say mark a edge loop around say a finger on a character and double click it to select the whole finger.

just Wondering since i personally see all the modeling stuff getting polished off than a good look at performance ands stability before we move onto to things like UV's.

• Vertex
September 16, 2011, 10:20:10 pm
I, for one, would love to see this in modeling! Great suggestion!! I think that's what ghib's intentions are anyway. I'd like to see it in both modeling and UVing, but modeling first for sure. I agree with Passerby though, optimization should be first.
Cheers!
Cheers,
-ShaneO

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
September 17, 2011, 08:25:58 pm
3DToons you're right I was thinking of this for the modeling side (I haven't even looked at the uv side of vw yet)

This would be perfect for things like fingers as passerby mentioned.  I recently had to model a complex tree structure and this would've been perfect for selecting the winding and twisting branches.
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
September 19, 2011, 06:59:38 pm
Feature now compleated and part of the.
September 19th update

used by making a vert or face selection as your bounds than double clicking within the bounds which holding toggle or add to selection.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:02:14 pm by Passerby »