News:

Poll

Do you think a wiki for NVil would be useful?

Yes
8 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
Don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Topic: NVil Wiki  (Read 2900 times)

• Triangle
February 19, 2013, 11:24:03 am
Hi there!
Obviously the program is developing faster than its documetation. Did you ever feel like there's something missing in the description, or could be explained a bit more comprehensible? Or you just noticed that it has typos in it? A possible way to lift off the maintenance workload for the help file from IStonia, so that he can mostly concentrate on development, would be a community held wikipedia. Some people may like to contribute in such a way to help out others. This wouldn't require everyone to write pages over pages of documentation, but rather enable some to make small changes, correction, additions to the docs, until it grows step by step and gets structured.

Have any of you experience with wikis? And is there a way to host it on the official website? It's been ages, since I edited a wikipedia.

And I want to ask IStonia, if it would be legally possible to port the documetation to the wikipedia, since there may be some copyright issues?

What's your opinion on this idea?

• Triangle
February 19, 2013, 11:30:21 am
I will have a look at http://www.mediawiki.org. But it has to be installed on a webserver, which I don't have.

• Triangle
February 21, 2013, 04:45:09 pm
I just saw, that the blender wiki also uses this mediawiki. http://wiki.blender.org So it seems, it's pretty customizable. Now you can see, what it would be like, having a documentation online for NVil.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
February 21, 2013, 09:51:02 pm
if enough people want it I could look at installing a wiki on this server.

but ya good idea, also some people seem to specialize in different areas of the program, so we can also have tips and tricks in there too for different approaches to things.

will see how many show interest in this thread than i will think about installing one on my server, but it will prolly be a few weeks before i do that, i got 3 jobs on the go atm.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:18:59 pm by Passerby »