News:

Topic: Maya-like translate option 'Keep Spacing'?  (Read 4912 times)

• Triangle
February 13, 2013, 02:27:25 am
Hi!
Is there an option in Nvil that has the same effect as 'Keep Spacing' in Maya? It's determining if things (objects, faces, edges, vertices) get moved as a group (relative spacing between objects/components is kept, pivot gets snapped) when snapping is enabled, or if an absolute movement is applied, so all the components get moved to the snapping position, thus loosing there relative spacing to one another.
I couldn't find such an option. Keep spacing is on by default so to say. If I want the same effect, I first have to scale the components down to zero on the desired axis. But maybe there already is such an option?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 13, 2013, 04:06:12 am
For scaling all components (to zero) on specific axis/plane, have a look at "Align" ("Sub_object shortcut keys" or "Geometry-> Common commands`n`tools) which allows transform alignment to axis or planer (average point or specific snap point). Or maybe "Flatten", which works on sub_objects and flattens/align to average normal ("Sub_object shortcut keys" or "Geometry-> Common commands`n`tools)

• Triangle
April 06, 2014, 09:42:06 pm
For the sake of a fast workflow I wouldn't want to use an extra tool and switch between them. I'm looking for an option, just like "Move Vertex along Edge" is an option. In Maya the option is now called "Retain component spacing". Here's a comaprison video with it being on and off:

You can see that with "Retain cComponent spacing" turned on, the manipulator snaps to the target and the vertices keep their relative position to one antother. With "Retain component spacing" off, all selected vertices snap to the manipulator position & target.