News:

Topic: Gradient Control over Edge Weight  (Read 9247 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2012, 10:55:48 am
I know, that is another tough one - but it at some point in time was great to get even more control
about Edge Weights. This video demonstrates how one can influence the weight of single Edges with Gradients (Falloffs). I consider this very helpful for blending fluid shapes with mechanical Details while keeping the Model LowPoly.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 17, 2012, 12:29:32 pm
ya that would take a lot of work too add as a creasing option, since modo achives it by using a differnt smoothing system, nvil only does catmull-clark subdivision, while modo can do catmull-clark or pixar subdivision.

though the same shapes can be achieved with support loops.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 17, 2012, 12:39:04 pm
...since modo achives it by using a differnt smoothing system, nvil only does catmull-clark subdivision, while modo can do catmull-clark or pixar subdivision.
Yeah - but looking at how fast Kun was when cooking up his Creasing-Mechanism I thought it was worth to ask at least. For my work (Product-Design) creasing is definedly the most attractive part in modo.

though the same shapes can be achieved with support loops.

But it's far simpler to work without these additional Loops, especially when one wants to achieve a subtle fade-effect, no? The great thing is that one could leave the Model Low Poly in Vw and export to Zbrush with Collapse Subd's set in the Exporter. Here one then can reconstruct the Subdivisions which makes Zbrush suitable to work with creased models regardless of Source.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:41:20 pm by polyxo »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 17, 2012, 06:52:40 pm
ya i agree that it would be useful, just not sure how fast it could happen if you were wanting nvill to use pixar style sub-division surfaces.

and this is just a assumption that it would be a lot of work, since im just a user, and don't know what other differences there are between a basic catmull-clark and pixar subdivision surface are.

would defiantly help for sculpting so you can get more even geometry, but i find for straight up subd work i prefer to use loops since i can work at a lower subd level like 2 and the edges still look nice since im introducing the geometry where i need it, instead of subdividing it all evenly and creasing.

also agree that modo is a good place to look for possible ideas for nvil.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:56:07 pm by Passerby »