News:

Topic: edge chamfer  (Read 10426 times)

• Edge
    • Fusion DIgital Productions LLC
June 28, 2012, 02:25:28 pm
June 27th build.

Not necessarily a bug, but a confusing workflow (IMO).  If you select an edge loop, select chamfer, set it to a value of 2 (or really any value), rounded and then preview it, the Segments and Offset don't make a lot of sense.

Segments seem to indicate the number of edges being created and Offset would indicate how convex or concave the rounding is.  But it doesn't work that way at all.

Segments 1, Offset 0 gives you 1 new segment.
Segments 2, Offset 0 gives you 3 new segments, not 2.
Segments 3, Offset 0 gives you 5 new segments, not 3.... and so on.

Segments 1, Offset 1 gives you 3 new segments. (huh??)
Segments 1, Offset 2 gives you 5 new segments. (????)
Segments 1, Offset 3 gives you 7 new segments...

See how confusing that can be?

-Paul

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
June 30, 2012, 12:43:55 am
The segment counting is from center line to one of the outer lines for refine style chamfer.

• Edge
    • Fusion DIgital Productions LLC
July 02, 2012, 12:16:06 pm
Is this something that's done to make it work like Silo?  I'm a Softimage user, and this functionality makes no sense to me.  In Softimage the number you put in is the number you get.  It's really confusing because there doesn't seem to be relationship between the numbers entered and what you see.

-Paul

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
July 02, 2012, 03:15:52 pm
I don't think silo has this feature. The reason is for refine style edge chamfer, there must be a center line. So no mater what, the segements can only be even numbers. It is a technical issue to produce odd number segments. I don't know how other app handle this. I don't have softimage.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
July 02, 2012, 10:14:40 pm
Hi Paul,

I'm a Softimage user, and this functionality makes no sense to me.
Yes, it does work differently.
  In Softimage the number you put in is the number you get.
XSI removes the selected edges and adds 2 new edges for the bevel, that bevel is then subdivided for rounding. So calculations for the new edges are made from the outer 2 new edges. 
It's really confusing because there doesn't seem to be relationship between the numbers entered and what you see.
VoidWorld calculates new edges from the selected edge(s). So when you set segments to 1, you are adding 1 new edge to each side of the selected edge(s), with segments to 2, you add 2 new edges to each side of the selected edge(s) and so on.