News:

Topic: UV-Mapping Overhaul  (Read 13652 times)

• Triangle
February 22, 2014, 04:19:57 am
Lately I noticed, that there is a lot of fine-twiddling in the NVil development. Many user wishes get a single option, many times cryptic. Sometimes I feel like NVil is becoming this ridiculously mutated army swiss knife or labyrinth with traps. Now I hate to adress the big fat elephant in the room again... But I personally would be happier if the UV mapping gets tackled instead of adding a load of new questionable options. Has there been anything in the works in the past year? With a one-man show like this, it may take a while longer, I know.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
February 23, 2014, 09:15:31 pm
To be fair, Kun needs a full time job to support himself and Nvil sales cannot support him.

Nvil is an outstanding app that needs only a tiny bit of overhaul to bring it to the status it deserves.

Doing tutorials to help the user community might be the best to help with sales no doubt, but if there was some way we could contribute in the development of the application I would love to know how.

• Triangle
February 24, 2014, 12:38:30 am
To be fair, Kun needs a full time job to support himself and Nvil sales cannot support him.

I'm totally aware of that! My intention was not, that he should put more time into the development of NVil, but the time he spends be put into improving the UV editing. It's the one big chunk of the software that is really not usable. And since this is a huge task, I expect it to take a while. Development time spent on tiny options is still time not going into the UV editing.
Well at the end, it's his baby and he should work on whatever he feels like.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 01, 2014, 11:58:26 am
I'm in the process of scripting a new UV editor for Maya, so I think once I'm done I will write up a proposal for nvils UV tools and editor ui based on it.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
March 01, 2014, 12:09:40 pm
awesome!  make sure to announce it here!

• Triangle
March 18, 2014, 07:57:31 pm
The folks at Autodesk have worked on their UV Mapping themselves for the Maya 2015 release:
http://youtu.be/5jgJLIon_cw

• Polygon
May 19, 2015, 08:13:11 am
I am just about to finish the modelling of my first project in Nvil.

Is it worth trying to uv map the model in Nvil, or is better I do it in another application ?

This thread would indicate uv tools in Nvil aren't too good or has some work been done since the last post a year ago.

• No avatar
  • Triangle
    • Portfolio
May 20, 2015, 06:40:35 pm
Nvil has awesome selection tools in the 3d viewport,  but the UV tools are still lacking.

Not a lot is needed I think, and if it is done as well as the rest of the application, it would be worthy of a buying the app all over again.

• Polygon
May 20, 2015, 09:29:32 pm
Thanks Mason

I own 3D Coat but never tried to uvmap with it so far. So I'll give the NVil app link to 3DC a go.