News:

Topic: Rubber sketchbook  (Read 13566 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 11, 2013, 07:56:11 pm
No, but if not the same length, then the mesh being deformed will stretch or shrink (depending on the difference between the length of the axis/path.
Steve, but does NVil provide user a tool for measuring the length of a curve? I could of course take a Measurement tool and check the distance between every spline vertex of the curve and add that up, but it's tedious and will work only for linear curves. In Maya for example there's the Arc Length tool and arclen MEL command.

EDIT: Ah, thanks IStonia. I was writing the reply for so long I didn't notice your post. :)

One thing I forgot to put forward, that is important, is that you should place the start of the "Axis" and the start of the "Path" at the same location, otherwise the deformation will take that the distance into account and can cause unexpected results.
Yeah, I figured it out by trial and error. But thanks for pointing this out. :D

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 11, 2013, 11:29:59 pm
Nice model. I subscribed to your youtube channel.

So many tools in Nvil Awesome.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 11, 2013, 11:50:46 pm
Thank you Johnny.
I agree, there's a lot of interesting tools in NVil that are definitely worth experimenting with. Two days ago I was about to ask if there were any plans of implementing various deformers... Today Steve tells me that one of them was already here. :D

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 11, 2013, 11:59:58 pm
Thank you Johnny.
I agree, there's a lot of interesting tools in NVil that are definitely worth experimenting with. Two days ago I was about to ask if there were any plans of implementing various deformers... Today Steve tells me that one of them was already here. :D

I have been opening NVIL at least once a day. It is going to take a while to learn. Steve is a great help.
IStonia is working hard. he is putting out updates faster than I have seen whole teams do.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 03:29:05 pm
I'm trying to bend this part I cut out from a sphere, but apparently I can't find a proper curve placement combination to do it.
The straight curve from the image is the axis line, the other one is the path curve.
What am I doing wrong?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 04:40:16 pm
Hi rubberDuck,

Do the splines both have the same start position?
Try selecting one of the splines, go into vertex_selection, and use "Reverse Order"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 06:13:58 pm
I reversed the order and everything is deforming as expected. Thanks again Steve.
And to think that yesterday you warned me against it... ::)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 08:41:52 pm
I still forget sometimes to check start/end.
 There is a little square(start) and a circle(end) on the splines. But on high res' screen, they are very small.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 12, 2013, 08:50:53 pm
I agree, some things are really hard to see on high-res screens. HUD size could get a little big bigger. Also, I'm never sure what curve object I have selected, if any, because only control points are highlighted on selection.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
April 13, 2013, 11:32:47 am
I agree, some things are really hard to see on high-res screens. HUD size could get a little big bigger. Also, I'm never sure what curve object I have selected, if any, because only control points are highlighted on selection.

What is your Youtube Channel ? 
Are there any nVil tutorials ?
thanks

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 14, 2013, 02:42:46 pm
The link to YouTube video where you can find my channel is in the first post, though I don't think you'll find anything useful there. I mostly use the account for storing "unlisted" (so not public) videos of various bug reports for some applications.
No tutorials. Well, not yet. Maybe in the future. You might want to follow Steve because he said he'll be doing some for NVil. I don't know where to find his channel though.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 07, 2013, 12:21:04 am
I completely forgot about this thread.
The final renders:

The bottom side (white plastic has displacement mapping):
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:36:47 am by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
June 09, 2013, 08:14:19 pm
Came out really well. Good work.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 10, 2014, 03:48:04 am
Stylised TV I'll be taking to 3D Coat for texturing.
Amazingly fast to create in NVil.

• Edge
    • 3ddmd
January 12, 2014, 02:56:25 pm
Nice modeling. What renderer did you use for the lighter?