News:

Topic: Normals  (Read 4392 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 09, 2013, 12:03:52 pm
Hi all.

I can not to export a normals. What is my mistake?

https://www.box.com/s/tgc915chue5lxef296ql
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 12:29:59 pm
I'm on my phone so I can't view your file, but you should tell us what you mean by normals?

hard and soft edges? Edited vertex normals?

also what file format are you exporting as and what app are you bring them into?

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 12:33:37 pm
molebox, I followed your steps to create a box and exported it to an obj file. I then imported back to NVil and the normals stayed as expected. I think the problem may be on the Blender side.

passerby, he has reversed the vertex normals by the vertex 'Normal' tool.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 09, 2013, 12:45:45 pm
IStonia, I tried also in Cinema4d 12.

Passerby, i exported a *.obj in Blender.

I will try to check.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:58:12 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 12:57:17 pm
works fine for me, i created a cube, reversed all vertex normals, exported obj, than imported obj into maya and got the expected result.

Your problem is prolly blender, since it has really shit support for edited normals. with c4d i couldnt tell you anything since i have never used it.

but i tested on nvil, maya and max and it imported in right on all 3 and messed up in blender.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 09, 2013, 01:02:28 pm
Passerby, thanks. Maybe blender and cinema4d is bad supporting *.obj files. Maya and 3dsmax - standard in 3d.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 01:05:29 pm
with blender it isnt bad obj support, blender it's self just dosnt supported edited vertex normals. Even for hard edges, blender has to use a modifer to spilt the verts up.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 01:05:42 pm
Blender .obj importer does not import vertex normal info. The vertex normal data is ignored and vertex normals are re-calculated by Blender.

It as been a long standing issue. There was a script/importer made at one time to import the vertex normal info, but that was for an old version of Blender and I do not have it now.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 01:12:35 pm
Blender .obj importer does not import vertex normal info. The vertex normal data is ignored and vertex normals are re-calculated by Blender.

It as been a long standing issue. There was a script/importer made at one time to import the vertex normal info, but that was for an old version of Blender and I do not have it now.

Ya one of htose things with blender, blender really does have a few nice things, like it;s UV editor, and good animation tools. but things like this, really make it impossible to fit blender into any pipeline for production.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 09, 2013, 01:22:23 pm
I tried also in Cinema4d 12.

That is not good at .obj import. Many use 3rd party plugin.(Riptide:- http://skinprops.com/riptide.php)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 09, 2013, 02:20:27 pm
unfortunately, the free version Riptide dont support Cinema12, only comercial.

Thanks IStonia, Passerby, steve.