News:

Topic: Low poly head  (Read 6815 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 12:39:28 am
This is not really a project. I decided the best way to learn NVIL would be to just start modeling.
I like the tweak mode a whole lot. Like being able to split the screen and have two different view modes to see how the model is looking.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 02:47:52 am
Good start (I cannot really comment, as I am no good trying to model heads).

One thing, in poly_selection mode, select all the polygons and use the "Visual tools-> Smooth groups" to create just one smooth group for the head. It should remove the hard edges that can be seen.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 03:03:28 am
Good start (I cannot really comment, as I am no good trying to model heads).

One thing, in poly_selection mode, select all the polygons and use the "Visual tools-> Smooth groups" to create just one smooth group for the head. It should remove the hard edges that can be seen.
Thanks for the tip about smoothing. I have never used smoothing groups before.
This is the situation I was hoping for. start modeling something and get into a situation where I have to find the right tool to accomplish the task at hand. This is the way I learn and understand the application I am using.
 It also should give me valuable insight to make suggestions for further development.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 03:13:55 am
There is another way for smoothing without using smooth group. In edge mode, select all edges, then 'Geometry > Soften'.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 03:17:32 am
I have never used smoothing groups before.

There is also options for hard/soft edges (default in "Visual tools-> Hard/soften")
To view hard_edges, "View-> Object shading-> Show hard edge color"
You can change hard_edge color in "Edit-> Preference" -> "Colors-> Edge colors-> Hard Edge"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 03:55:53 am
Jolly good show, but I'd get rid of the 6-edged star on the cheek. Might cause some problems later on.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 07:38:26 am
good job, johnnybevo

Only if it is man (not Orc) then you need a little to change a ears. It is you may to do in future, in sculptris/3dcoat etc, probably.

p.s. it is opinion of a beginner  :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:40:51 am by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 12:07:57 pm
I love all this feedback. I am going to open up NVIL and try all the suggestions.
Thanks
I will post an update and ask questions at I go along.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 01:49:06 pm
I added a little more geometry and started redirect some edge flow.
I tried the soften as suggested, it works fine, also added a smooth group to the whole head, that helps also. I will tweak a little more and work on the ears.
One option that i use in Blender that i miss in NVIL is smooth vertex it works really well.
Nvil has the relax function, but I don't think it works as well as smooth vertex in Blender.

I dont think I will add much more geometry, because I am going to export this out to Sculptris or 3d coat. To see how well the geometry imports. Then I will bring it back into NVIL to test out/learn how well retopo works.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:51:28 pm by johnnybevo »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 23, 2013, 03:14:56 pm
One option that i use in Blender that i miss in NVIL is smooth vertex it works really well.
Nvil has the relax function, but I don't think it works as well as smooth vertex in Blender.
Which option in NVIL?
I had a quick look, using vertex relax (vertex_selection mode -> "H+LMB") gives similar results.

I dont think I will add much more geometry, because I am going to export this out to Sculptris or 3d coat.
There is an app link to 3dcoat in NVIL. First make sure the link in enabled (File-> 3D-Coat Applink -> Applink enabled".). You can then use the top dropdown menu, or the menu in the File-> 3D-Coat Applink)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 03:22:57 pm
" using vertex relax (vertex_selection mode -> "H+LMB") gives similar results."
I will check that out right now.
Thanks Steve.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 03:30:28 pm
 "H+LMB"
Wow, love it that work very well.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 03:35:23 pm
I dont think I will add much more geometry, because I am going to export this out to Sculptris or 3d coat. To see how well the geometry imports. Then I will bring it back into NVIL to test out/learn how well retopo works.

If you will be to use 3dcoat then look at the Auto Retopology - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEnwxnNMPk4
I think that it is good work with organic.
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 04:54:40 pm

If you will be to use 3dcoat then look at the Auto Retopology - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEnwxnNMPk4
I think that it is good work with organic.

Yes retopo in 3d coat is great. On a character model I would not use Autoretopo so that I can direct the edge flow the way it needs to be, but that can be done in 3d coat also.
 Right now though I will retopo in NVIL so that I can learn more about the tools and work flow.

I have done a little more work on this model and discovered normal move and a couple of sticky keys. I still have to work on the ears some more.
 I like Blender but, NVIL is making it hard to do any modeling in Blender, because even with limited knowledge of NVIL my modeling work flow is getting faster and easier.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 23, 2013, 05:02:54 pm
Just thought I would say I am enjoying the Nvil community. No one here seems to be a jerk, like another forum of another software I use.