News:

Topic: Clipboard problem  (Read 2869 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
May 13, 2014, 09:12:40 am
Why when I overight ClipboardObj.obj saving from another software it does not open via Past Clipboard?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:16:29 am by samardac »
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 13, 2014, 09:25:54 am
Hi help me pleas, I want to export from MOI 3D to Nvil, I set MOI to export to C:\Users\samardac\AppData\Roaming\DigitalFossils\NVil\Media\Clipboard\ClipboardObj.obj

But it not works everytime, sometimes Nvil does not open   via past from clipboard. But if I open this ClipboardObj.obj by importing it in Nvil everything is ok. What it can be?

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 09:32:40 am
Yes, there's definedly a problem here, I reported it before. Oddly it seems not to happen on every machine. I assume that Nvil is incorrectly looking for .vws files when starting a clipboard sharing session from outside of Nvil. If you have the time, please record a little clip for IStonia - I believe he can not reproduce the problem.

One can work around this issue though.
Method 1) Manually browse to the clipboard folder one, set the file format in the open dialog to .obj
and open the file. You now should be able to exchange back and forth between Nvil and another program.

Method 2) Start Nvil and the exchange program. Create a cube inside Nvil and save it to the clipboard. Bring it to the other program, modify it a bit and save back to the clipboard. Transfer now should work bidirectionally.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 13, 2014, 09:39:35 am
I found the case.
It happens when I copy to clipboard something in MOI or Rhino.

In other cases it works perfect. So now I have to to copy something into Nvil clipboard, and then export from MOI and after that nvil will past from clipboard.

Is it possible to fix?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:45:27 am by samardac »

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 09:46:25 am
I can't see what could be the reason as Nvil opens Rhino obj's just fine. Maybe post a simple sample.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 13, 2014, 10:21:51 am
When paste from clipboard, NVil will look for file information from Windows clipboard. Then it uses the file path in the clipboard to search for the file. So the file can be anywhere, but the Windows clipboard provides its location.

I modify the paste function a little. So if NVil can't find any file info from Windows clipboard, it will check NVil's Clipboard directory for the file.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-13-14.rar

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 10:39:41 am
I have not tested it yet but I guess this is the solution!
What the macro I provided (for Rhino) does is saving the file to the dedicated Nvil clipboard location. Saving a third party format to the actual windows clipboard from Rhino should somehow be possible too by scrpting but one could not access that function via Ctrl+C/V as this is reserved to copy/paste operations with native geometry.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 13, 2014, 10:43:36 am
You don't need to save the whole file into clipboard. The file size could be potentially huge. You only need to put the file name and its path onto clipboard.

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 11:21:33 am
Hmm – forgive my ignorance but I fear I don't understand.
Rhino's native file format .3dm stores Nurbs as well as Mesh data which represents Nurbs geometry. The same file may contain "standalone" mesh items as well but such meshes are likely imported geometry as Rhinos native mesh handling is very limited.
The parameters of render meshes are user-editable. One can set all sorts of parameter which influence density and accuracy, the result however will always be a quad dominant mesh with triangles. It may be in the users interest to represent the mesh pretty loosely in the viewport for maximum interactive performance but for exchange one would prefer a denser mesh - which can nicely get accomplished by exporting the actual file into your clipboard folder.
Would you really see a more effective way in this scenario? The only way to do this I can see is supporting Rhino's format natively, that generally was possible as the format is open.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:26:38 am by polyxo »

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 11:23:49 am
Or do you mean that the macro should output the file to some other location and at the same time leave Nvil a message in it's clipboard folder where to find it? But what was the advantage when the file needs to get written in a non-native format anyway?

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 11:39:12 am
The updated Clipboard feature works now btw. Great!

Edit: Spoke too early...

• No avatar
  • Spline
May 13, 2014, 11:39:43 am
another error popup.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:43:57 am by polyxo »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
May 13, 2014, 11:49:19 am