News:

Topic: User Toolbar - Some problems  (Read 12884 times)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 08, 2012, 06:50:16 pm
From time to time i stumble across problems with the tool names. They are different, but have the same functionality.

One example in the User Toolbar is the Symmetry Tool. Which is called Mirror in the Visual Tools. Or Freeze/Unfreeze versus Freeze Select in the Visual Tools. Or such simple things like remove and delete. Or Turn Flow versus Turn Quad Flow.

This Freeze/Unfreeze and Unfreeze/Freeze is also a bit odd to read. And doesn`t really reflect the functionality. Freeze/Unfreeze freezes the selection. So why not call it Freeze Selection? And Unfreeze/Freeze unfreezes the selection. So why not call it Unfreeze Selection. I see this function/counterfunction description at several other tools for the User Toolbars too.

There is also some missing functionality in the User Toolbars versus the Visual Tools it seems. I still hunt for Add Camera. Or Pivot. Or flip background image horizontally and vertically. I could make the icons, but there is no item to connect. It can of course be that i have overlooked them again. So much tools ...

Could you please have a look here? :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:26:28 pm by Tiles »
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 08:39:49 pm
One example in the User Toolbar is the Symmetry Tool. Which is called Mirror in the Visual Tools.

Can you give me the menu item path of this tool. I don't know which tool it is.

Or Freeze/Unfreeze versus Freeze Select in the Visual Tools. Or such simple things like remove and delete. Or Turn Flow versus Turn Quad Flow.

This Freeze/Unfreeze and Unfreeze/Freeze is also a bit odd to read. And doesn`t really reflect the functionality. Freeze/Unfreeze freezes the selection. So why not call it Freeze Selection? And Unfreeze/Freeze unfreezes the selection. So why not call it Unfreeze Selection. I see this function/counterfunction description at several other tools for the User Toolbars too.

This is intended. For a tool like this, it has two functions. If you set it up with a traditional hotkey, to fire the first function, hit the hotkey, to fire the second function, 'Redirect hotkey(Caps Lock)' + hotkey. If you set it up to a radial menu item, you will see an additional box '#' in the radial menu item that let you fire the second function. This is to reduce numbe of keys or space being used.

There is also some missing functionality in the User Toolbars versus the Visual Tools it seems. I still hunt for Add Camera. Or Pivot. Or flip background image horizontally and vertically. I could make the icons, but there is no item to connect. It can of course be that i have overlooked them again. So much tools ...

Could you please have a look here? :)

I will have a look at that.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 08, 2012, 11:03:51 pm
I found these from the 'Tool Search Window'. Hopefully they are what you are looking for.

Geometry > Create > Add Camera
Manipulator > Pivot

I don't feel it is necessary to add a seperate function for background image flipping. You can open the main tool and use its sub functions.

Geometry > Create > Create BG Image

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 09, 2012, 09:12:58 am
Thanks iStonia :)

Can you give me the menu item path of this tool. I don't know which tool it is.

See Screenshot for Mirror/Symmetry. The tooltip at the top talks about Mirror. In the Visual Tools the button is labeled Mirror too. The tool name here is Symmetry though.

One below you can see one of those action/counteraction naming conventions with Unfreeze/Freeze. Either it is unfreeze or it is freeze. And in fact it gets called Geometry>>Unfreeze in the tooltip above. On after the quoting:

This is intended. For a tool like this, it has two functions. If you set it up with a traditional hotkey, to fire the first function, hit the hotkey, to fire the second function, 'Redirect hotkey(Caps Lock)' + hotkey. If you set it up to a radial menu item, you will see an additional box '#' in the radial menu item that let you fire the second function. This is to reduce numbe of keys or space being used.

Okay. I understand. Naming Conventions troubles because of different functionality between calling the tool from the button or from hotkeys. Still a bit unhappy with the namings. But i can live with that now that i know.

I found these from the 'Tool Search Window'. Hopefully they are what you are looking for.

Manipulator > Pivot

Thanks. That`s the menu position. I already knew them. But where is it in the Tool List? Here i cannot find it. My goal is to mimic the Visual Tools by icons at the moment. And there is the Add Camera button and the Pivot Button :)

I don't feel it is necessary to add a seperate function for background image flipping. You can open the main tool and use its sub functions.

Ah, i see. Haven`t thought of that. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:21:58 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 09, 2012, 09:55:06 am
One below you can see one of those action/counteraction naming conventions with Unfreeze/Freeze. Either it is unfreeze or it is freeze. And in fact it gets called Geometry>>Unfreeze in the tooltip above. On after the quoting:

It is a mesh tool and only works in mesh mode and on meshes. Functions for freeze/unfreeze objects are in 'Scene Explore' window right click menu.

Manipulator > Pivot

Thanks. That`s the menu position. I already knew them. But where is it in the Tool List? Here i cannot find it. My goal is to mimic the Visual Tools by icons at the moment. And there is the Add Camera button and the Pivot Button :)

If you first press down 'End' key and hold, then open and click Manipulator > Pivot', the hotkey tool form will open with the corresponding command tool selected and visible. Please let me know if it works or not as polyxo complained before it didn't work on a german keyboard.

Any way it's here
Object Shortcut Tools > Pivot.

The 'Add Camera' menu does not have a shortcut tool. Do you think it needs one? I don't think it is a frequently used command.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 09, 2012, 12:15:32 pm
Object Shortcut Tools > Pivot.

Ah, there hides this little rascal. Gotcha. Thanks a bunch. It`s really lots of buttons and tools:)

Hold End key and click Manipulator > Pivot worked like charm. Thanks :)

The 'Add Camera' menu does not have a shortcut tool. Do you think it needs one? I don't think it is a frequently used command.

Well, it`s a tool like a light bulb. And the button exists in the Visual Tools. So i would say yes. Doesn`t hurt in any cases :)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 09, 2012, 05:43:39 pm
While at missing buttons, the Terrain button from the Object mode and the Subdivision button from the Polygon mode is also missing it seems :)

EDIT, and last but not least there were the Ring Grow and the R-Grow Full buttons in the Edge mode missing :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:00:02 pm by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 12:10:32 pm
Object Shortcut Tools > Add Camera

Mesh Shortcut Tools > Mirror.
Because its name has been changed, the link in the button is lost and you have to redo it.

Grid Tools > AutoScene Scale Enabled
Grid Tools > Scene Scale

Polygon Shortcut Tools > Subdivision

Edge Shortcut Tools > Stride Ring Grow Edge Selection
This tool will bring up a context menu. So you only need one button for 20 tools.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 10, 2012, 12:27:52 pm
Thanks a bunch :)

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 10, 2012, 06:09:59 pm
Just curious, since there is also a Symmetry Enabled in the Modeling options, any plans to change this name too? :)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 07:05:59 pm
The 'Symmetry Enabled' Option is symmetry operations related. It has nothing to do with mesh 'Mirror' tool.

Do you know what symmetry operation is?

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 10, 2012, 07:53:14 pm
That`s mirror modeling, right? And the tool in the mesh section is mirroring.

Ah, name conventions :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:56:37 pm by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 10, 2012, 08:44:07 pm
Sounds like you have a lot of thing to learn about this program.

1. Create a sphere.
2. Make sure 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled' is checked.
3. Make sure 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > X Axis' is checked.
4. Click 'Geometry > Symmetry Cut > Remove Negative(Weld)'. Now the sphere is symmetrized.
5. Goto polygon mode.
6. Try to edit or transform the sphere. You should see that the program will try to maintain the symmetry structure.
7. Click 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled' to turn it off.
8. Try to edit or transform the sphere. Symmetry is no longer matained.

I'll let you find out what the mesh 'Mirror' tool does yourself.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
December 11, 2012, 08:37:31 am
1. Create a sphere.
2. Make sure 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled' is checked.
3. Make sure 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > X Axis' is checked.
4. Click 'Geometry > Symmetry Cut > Remove Negative(Weld)'. Now the sphere is symmetrized.
5. Goto polygon mode.
6. Try to edit or transform the sphere. You should see that the program will try to maintain the symmetry structure.
7. Click 'Edit > Options > Shortcut Symmetry Options > Symmetry Enabled' to turn it off.
8. Try to edit or transform the sphere. Symmetry is no longer matained.

Or you about other software. This is called Mirror Modeling in trueSpace ;)

Anyways. Was just a question :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:47:32 am by Tiles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
December 11, 2012, 09:36:21 am
Ok, you are right then. It is a naming convention. Just try to make the mesh mirror tool sound different from the symmetry operations.