News:

Topic: OBJ with multiple components  (Read 8923 times)

• Edge
    • Fusion DIgital Productions LLC
November 12, 2012, 05:51:56 pm
Hi all -

It's been quite a while since I've been able to test Nvil out.  I tried today to import an OBJ that comes from MOI3D.  It has multiple parts, but when Nvil imports it the objects are all merged into one. 

It's not really a bug, but other software packages can deal with multi-part OBJ files without merging them together.

-Paul

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 07:13:59 pm
Hi Paul,

Edit > Options > File Format Options.

In the object importer, enable option:- "Divide into objects by polygon groups"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:19:21 pm by steve »

• Edge
November 12, 2012, 07:26:42 pm
Thanks, though isn't that a bit of a workflow killer?

IMHO it'd be much better if you were prompted when importing on how to deal with it.

Paul

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 07:45:26 pm
Thanks, though isn't that a bit of a workflow killer?

I do not find a need to keep changing the options. I have a preference to import each polygon group as an object, so leave it at that setting.(although I admit, it is rare I import .obj files into NVIL)

Do you think you would need to change the options for each .obj import? or at least, have to change them regularly that a popup would be helpful?

• Edge
November 12, 2012, 07:52:41 pm
I'm coming from a Softimage background & that's basically how it works for me.  Sometimes I want to merge everything together, but other times I'm working in MOI on a mechanical model with lots of parts & want them all separated.  In Soft you also get the option of creating a parent null, having everything nested under a model or just importing the pieces separately.  Since I'm always jumping around between different types of modeling projects, it works well for me.

I suppose the ideal compromise would be the ability to turn off and on the popup on import.  So people who want to "set it and forget it" can do that & folks who want to be asked each time can have that option too.

-Paul

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 09:00:02 pm
maybe at somepoint nvil could get custom open, and save dialogs that got a sidebar with options like maya does.

• Triangle
    • Reiner`s Tilesets
November 13, 2012, 08:32:08 am
I guess the popup idea is easier to implement. And would be good enough.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http//www.reinerstilesets.de

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 13, 2012, 08:58:21 am
done.