News:

Topic: DDS with transparency but  (Read 11837 times)

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 10, 2012, 04:12:10 pm
Hi
Awesome job IStonia with NVIL. I has all features modeler needs.

About bug - when using dds texture with transparency object is displayed incorrectly (but small preview icon is wokring ok). See attached image for details.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 10, 2012, 07:15:32 pm
Can you send me that dds file? I tested it with a dds file of mine and it works fine.

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 12, 2012, 09:35:43 am
Sorry for late reply.
Here is file with 2 textures, one is transparent. I would expect both to be orange (like in material preview spheres).
TransparencyBug.7z

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 12, 2012, 10:06:11 am
Also small feature request. I is possible to add menu button to assign material to object?  Right now it is only possible to assign it per object polygon selection. 
Assigning by object - would automatically assign material to all object faces. So there would be no need to enter polygon selection and selecting all faces manually.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 10:13:31 am
I open the file. One plane is all orange color and the other only has orange letters 'Transparent'. It looks ok to me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 10:26:40 am
Hi JoseConseco,

Also small feature request. I is possible to add menu button to assign material to object?

There is an option in material window, right click material icon(sphere) > "Assign to Object or Polygon Selection"

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 12, 2012, 12:13:28 pm
About assigning material - I know there is option to assign material to polygons. But I just would love to see option to assign material to whole object at on click.

Right now this option assigns material to all selected faces of all objects when I'm in object mode. So I have to go to polygon mode, select all polygons and  assign material. It is bit not intuitive is you ask me.

About transparency - orange text looks like bug to me. Material has disabled texture transparency, but it is affecting diffuse color - it makes underlying color visible, while it shouldn't right?
I mean preview sphere is whole orange - and this is the result I expected.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 12:30:49 pm
About assigning material - I know there is option to assign material to polygons. But I just would love to see option to assign material to whole object at on click.

Right now this option assigns material to all selected faces of all objects when I'm in object mode. So I have to go to polygon mode, select all polygons and  assign material. It is bit not intuitive is you ask me.

What you are seeing is the material being applied to last polygon sub_selection while in object mode. Not sure if that is intentional or not.
Before going to object mode, de-select all sub_objects, then in object mode use the option I showed in last pic. It should then work on full selected object.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:49:06 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 12, 2012, 01:06:44 pm
steve - well this is what happens when I try to assign green material to stairs.

So you see material is assigned to all subobjects, even though they are not selected.
I wish, that when I'm in object mode, VW would automatically select all faces on selected object and attached new material to them.
When I'm in polygon mode, assigning material per face is ok and intuitive.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 05:00:19 pm

The material is assigned to all visible objects. This is a bug. I will fix it.
Jose, you can assign material by draggin the material into scene. This is faster.

About transparency - orange text looks like bug to me. Material has disabled texture transparency, but it is affecting diffuse color - it makes underlying color visible, while it shouldn't right?
I mean preview sphere is whole orange - and this is the result I expected.

I think I have misunderstood your original request. I thought when the transparency is disabled the diffuse color should show up to indicate that the texture is transparent in these area. Is this behaviour any usefull at all?

• No avatar
  • Edge
    • my blog - sculpting
November 12, 2012, 05:21:07 pm
I think I have misunderstood your original request. I thought when the transparency is disabled the diffuse color should show up to indicate that the texture is transparent in these area. Is this behaviour any usefull at all?
Well I guess this may be usefull for some. But when I use alpha channel for secular map, I wish it didn't affected diffuse in VW. So maybe there should be another checkbox. next to 'render texture transparency'.
Something like 'use/ignore alpha' and 'use alpha as transparency'

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
November 12, 2012, 05:41:15 pm
Fixed.

Well I guess this may be usefull for some. But when I use alpha channel for secular map, I wish it didn't affected diffuse in VW. So maybe there should be another checkbox. next to 'render texture transparency'.
Something like 'use/ignore alpha' and 'use alpha as transparency'

If no one asks I won't do it. More options more complicated.