News:

Topic: "Set Orientation" Bug  (Read 3806 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 12, 2014, 09:55:10 am
Hi - I've been having some issues concerning manually setting orientation, and having functions like extrude respect orientation correctly, so I'm looking into figuring which issues are reproduceable so they can be fixed.  I'll have to dig deeper and report more this weekend, since I'm working at this moment, but here's one particular issue to report right now.

"Set Orientation" Bug:

Symptom:  When I have a subobject selection highlighted and wish to manually save the current gizmo orientation, I expect to be able to click the "Set" button near the Orientation dropdown menu to enter a "Manual" orientation manipulation mode, followed by a second click of "Set" to lock in the manual orientation... but after I've done so, the manual gizmo (also called "move manipulator" in NVil) orientation changes seemingly at random.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a Sphere in the scene.
2. Enter edge subobject selection mode and select two connected edges from anywhere on the sphere.
3. Choose "Selection" from the Orientation mode dropdown menu.  Note the orientation of the gizmo.
4. Click "Set" near the Orientation mode dropdown menu.  This should change the orientation mode to "Manual" and the "Set button turns blue.
5.  Click "Set" once more to confirm the manual orientation settings.
6.  BUG - Notice that the orientation has changed!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:01:01 am by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
September 12, 2014, 11:40:14 am
Hi JTenebrous,

For that issue, you need to check your preferences:- "Edit > Preference > Options > Remember manipulator manual pose". If that option is enabled, when using "set" as you have, you will get the last set manual orientation. Disable that option and the result should be as you expect.

------------------------------------
Note.
When you enable "Set" be it from "manipulation window" or "Streamline tool", that then enables the ability to set the manipulator, but Nvil is expecting you to set the manipulator via screen input (mouse click). If you simply enable "set" then disable "set", that does not "set" the manipulator. It will either (by default) update the "manual" position/orientation to current manipulator position/orientation, or, if option "Remember manipulator manual pose" is enabled, the manipulator when changing to "manual"(which enabling/disabling "set" does, even without setting manipulator) it will move manipulator to last set position/orientation.
The problem with default behavior, is that after using "set" to set manipulator, once you change to different position/orientation type(such as "Selection") and you make a new selection, changing back to "manual" that set manipulator position/orientation is lost.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:02:13 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
September 13, 2014, 12:25:18 pm
Thanks Steve - that appears to have sorted it out.  True to NVil fashion, "there's an option for that".  I guess I should've looked deeper. ;)

The problem with default behavior, is that after using "set" to set manipulator, once you change to different position/orientation type(such as "Selection") and you make a new selection, changing back to "manual" that set manipulator position/orientation is lost.

Ah, that has definitely been throwing me for awhile.