News:

Topic: Object select problem  (Read 10264 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 06:32:16 am
I can see the problem now. Will fix it when I have some time tonight.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
April 04, 2014, 06:52:02 am
Good :)
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 12:11:10 pm
try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Mar-28-14.rar

It was a bug. I checked your clip plane settings. It is 0.1/10000. That is very very extreme. It exposed the bug. But you may encounter render problems with this setting due to the z buffer limitation.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 03:07:30 pm
Thank you, I'll try.
What is the good settings for clip plane? WHat render problem you mean?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 03:37:33 pm
I set Clip plane to 0.1 and 100. But in ortho view when I zoom out object become to diaspear, is it how it should be?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 06:28:15 pm
WHat render problem you mean?

From what I see.
If "near plane scale" too small or "far clip scale" too big, then hidden(from view) edges are rendered.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 06:32:20 pm
I set Clip plane to 0.1 and 100. But in ortho view when I zoom out object become to diaspear, is it how it should be?

I find view in ortho can be problematic with new defaults.(front clipping plane moves toward model and clips the front).

Try:-
Disable "View > Advance Focus Point On Orthographic View Zooming"

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 06:40:13 pm
Hi IStonia,

I have never understood your reasoning of how the clipping planes have been implemented.

Would it not be better to have a more logical way of clipping, by setting a distance from camera for front/back clipping (as I see in other apps), rather than this calculation of a scale value x distance of camera from focus point.
For a clipping plane to move in such a manner, of zooming in can clip the back of the model, and zooming out can clip the front of the model, it is rather confusing.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 08:05:10 pm
Hi IStonia,

I have never understood your reasoning of how the clipping planes have been implemented.

Would it not be better to have a more logical way of clipping, by setting a distance from camera for front/back clipping (as I see in other apps), rather than this calculation of a scale value x distance of camera from focus point.
For a clipping plane to move in such a manner, of zooming in can clip the back of the model, and zooming out can clip the front of the model, it is rather confusing.

For each view port, you can uncheck the "App auto set" and "App auto set far plane base on scene geometry" options. Then you can set your near/far clip plane values which are distances from camera.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 09:07:03 pm
For each view port, you can uncheck the "App auto set" and "App auto set far plane base on scene geometry" options. Then you can set your near/far clip plane values which are distances from camera.

That can work, but brings in issues.

As simple example.
(Auto clipping off in all views)

I have perspective set to "Near = 0.1m", "Zoom to fit" any object/sub_object below that size will be clipped (I usually work 1 unit = 1 meter). So I need to decrease that size, but if I decrease to say, 0.001, then all hidden edges(edges that should not be seen from view) on object are shown. Not a good way to work. (I could set it to 0.01, which helps while zoomed in, but when zooming out, again all hidden edges are shown).

Here near set to 0.1m (but zooming in to small detail causes that detail to be clipped)

Change near to 0.001 and all edges on object can now be seen, as if object now semi transparent.

If I was to leave the near at 0.1, then far needs to remain below (which can depend on size of model/scene) 500m, or again, hidden lines are shown.

In ortho view. If you zoom to fit small sized selection, it will be clipped regardless of how small the near clip plane is set. Due to new option of "Advance Focus Point On Orthographic View zooming" which is enabled, zooming out will not remove clipping(front of model will remain clipped).

I think it would also be helpful if users knew which clip settings adjust which view, as it is, there is nothing to indicate which clip settings is for which view.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:18:23 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 09:34:29 pm
This is the z buffer issue. Before a pixel is rendered, there is a z buffer comparison to see if it can be rendered. If its z buffer depth is smaller than previous rendered pixel, it can be rendered. The problem occurs when its z buffer depth is the same as previous rendered pixel. This is what happens if the newplane/farplane ratio is tool small. The z buffer depth value of render points of objects that are far away from new-clip-plane are more likely to have the same z buffer depth value as z buffer depth range is limited.

"I think it would also be helpful if users knew which clip settings adjust which view, as it is, there is nothing to indicate which clip settings is for which view", when you bring up the "Preference" form, the border of viewport setting control of the current selected viewport is 3d.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 04, 2014, 10:06:55 pm
This is the z buffer issue.

But that is only a technical explanation for the problem, the problem is still there.

I got my setting how I like them a while ago, so I do not have a problem. But new users may look and try different settings, and see the problems that they do not see in other applications when dealing with clipping planes.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2014, 12:24:11 am
The problem will always be there because there is no unlimited z buffer for graphic cards. I have no idea how other apps handle this.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 05, 2014, 06:38:32 am

With the Z-fighting I see, I guess you are using a 16 bit Z-buffer.

What is the depth of buffer you use, 16 / 24 / 32 bit?

• Administrator
  • Polygon
April 05, 2014, 06:40:08 am
Hay people, I'm simple user I have no Idea what you are talking about) Tell me pleas How I have to set my Nvil to have no problem in this area?