News:

Topic: Stepping > Move Increment  (Read 12387 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 10, 2014, 10:27:21 am
OK, another thought.

When using the visual tools, for example, such as "Inset", "Extrude" or "Chamfer" which brings up the options window. You can currently LMB in the numeric input window and WMB up/down, which changes the value, but that change in value is not currently fixed/set, it appears to be random. Could the increment in the change in value (when using WMB up/down) be a fixed increment based on stepping value?

Can do that.

You can use the mouse move event to trigger the stepping, but when you move the mouse there will be a bunch of mouse move events generated and you will get a series of steppings.

Yes, of course, it should work like that. It is a need to be able to control those stepping.
Although stepping is a custom set value, that does not mean it will be a maximum distance used. For example. I have a model that will have lots of support edges(insets). Those insets may be of different sizes. I set the stepping to 0.005 but can make an inset using stepping of any size I want (within reason of course) that has an increment of 0.005.

No, I don't think it is a reliable way. It is random and unpredictable. When you move the cursor from a point of (100, 100) horizontally to the right, you will receive mouse events from the operating system in a pattern like this along the path

(104, 100), (107, 100), (108, 100), (113, 100), (115, 100), (119, 100)...

How can you use them to decide when a stepping will happen?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 10, 2014, 10:47:17 am
No, I don't think it is a reliable way. It is random and unpredictable.

OK.

If I understand correctly your description of the current implementation of stepping, when you zoom out there is a multiplication of the stepping, so that movement made by cursor will still equal distance of movement of stepping. Is there a way you could stop that happening, possibly with an extra command?.
For example.
I have stepping set to 0.005, and when zoomed in, the stepping is made at 0.005, When I zoom out, that stepping can(for example) become 0.035(so loss of control of stepping). If there was a way to tell Nvil to ignore the fact I have zoomed out?(to force it not to add the multiplication), I could add that command to an hotkey. So when using stepping it would act as it is now, but with that command active, all stepping would be made as if I was zoomed in.

Is that possible?

• No avatar
  • Spline
February 10, 2014, 12:00:19 pm
I set the stepping to 0.005 but can make an inset using stepping of any size I want (within reason of course) that has an increment of 0.005.

Is this not the entire point of Stepping?  Not an absolute value, but an increment?  If this isn't the case no matter the zoom level or other factor, then it's not working correctly, is it.  I wish I knew the ins and outs from the perspective of a developer, but as an end user, I find the correct functionality of Stepping to be of major importance.  To me, it's one of the primary reasons I use NVil instead of other programs... amongst other features, I use Stepping to help me approximate an almost CAD-like level of precision, but in a subD package.  Thankfully, I've not run into many cases so far where zooming levels have broken my stepping, since I mostly use NVIL for single-mesh objects to be exported to ZBrush.  However, there might be times when I may want to use NVil for larger scenes, rather than a CAD package like I currently employ, and inconsistent stepping could really make that impractical.  I hope this can be sorted out.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 11, 2014, 07:39:37 am
No, I don't think it is a reliable way. It is random and unpredictable.

OK.

If I understand correctly your description of the current implementation of stepping, when you zoom out there is a multiplication of the stepping, so that movement made by cursor will still equal distance of movement of stepping. Is there a way you could stop that happening, possibly with an extra command?.
For example.
I have stepping set to 0.005, and when zoomed in, the stepping is made at 0.005, When I zoom out, that stepping can(for example) become 0.035(so loss of control of stepping). If there was a way to tell Nvil to ignore the fact I have zoomed out?(to force it not to add the multiplication), I could add that command to an hotkey. So when using stepping it would act as it is now, but with that command active, all stepping would be made as if I was zoomed in.

Is that possible?

I will add a new functionality that can ensure stepping will happen and controllable.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 12, 2014, 10:21:21 am
Try this test on polygon extrude operation and see if it is the kind of behavior you are after.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-06-14-Test.rar

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 12, 2014, 12:26:46 pm
For stepping that is excellent. However,....

I thought you would of been able to add a global control (or some form of over-ride) to slow down the mouse for the stepping function. If it is something you are going to have to add to every command that uses stepping, then I would prefer you not to have to spend all that time on this, certainly as there is only me that has brought this up as a problem. I could add some composite tools, and let you spend your development time on other matters.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 13, 2014, 04:38:52 am
No worries, I will add an global option.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 14, 2014, 08:12:23 am
Try this one
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-12-14.rar

Edit > Options > Fixed Pixel Stepping Control In Extrusion Operations.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 14, 2014, 09:58:15 am
Try this one
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-12-14.rar

Edit > Options > Fixed Pixel Stepping Control In Extrusion Operations.
You appear to of added better stepping control for "Extrude" and "Inset", but thought you where adding control for the stepping, so that stepping was controlled globally, for all tools/functions that use it.
If stepping is only controlled for some tools/functions, then that just makes it confusing. Also, the change should only be there when stepping is enabled.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 16, 2014, 11:45:18 am
Try this one
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Feb-15-14.rar

Also the cursor boundary problem is solved.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 16, 2014, 05:49:53 pm
Try this one
On first quick tests, that is looking excellent.
Also the cursor boundary problem is solved.
Much better to work with IMHO.

For the name of the command, you would need to place the word "Move", so that it is clear it controls "Move" only.

Many thanks for taking the time to implement this.