News:

Topic: New Backface and Selection Bugs  (Read 11825 times)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 21, 2014, 12:22:23 pm
I have made it to behave as B style. But if "Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection Enabled" is not on, it will behave in the old style.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 24, 2014, 01:08:43 am
I do not know what you have been doing with the selection methods, but now find the "MMB+Drag(paint selection) to be very slow and problematic. I find most of the time I am having to go over the same polygon 2 or 3 times to select it.
Also the "X+LMB+Drag"(Paint select) is now deselecting front facing polygons I selected(during the period where I stop selection(release hotkey/mouse), and the time the tool actually exits).

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 24, 2014, 10:37:01 am
I do not know what you have been doing with the selection methods, but now find the "MMB+Drag(paint selection) to be very slow and problematic. I find most of the time I am having to go over the same polygon 2 or 3 times to select it.

I added some code to prevent selection leaking. Well I'll find a better way.

Also the "X+LMB+Drag"(Paint select) is now deselecting front facing polygons I selected(during the period where I stop selection(release hotkey/mouse), and the time the tool actually exits).

Can you provide a video to show it?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 24, 2014, 11:33:49 am

Can you provide a video to show it?

Primitive sphere used for vid.

https://www.mediafire.com/?q1o90eo36d5y5n1

On Windows 7 - 64

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:35:38 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 26, 2014, 10:38:52 am

I have found a new way. The performance should be the same as before now.

This is due to the low precision I am using for occlusion calculation. If I double the precision, the time will be 4 times longer. If you keep the selection region less than 400x400 pixels for each selection made, it should be fine if the polygons are not tool small in screen.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
February 26, 2014, 11:02:24 am
This is due to the low precision I am using for occlusion calculation. If I double the precision, the time will be 4 times longer. If you keep the selection region less than 400x400 pixels for each selection made, it should be fine if the polygons are not tool small in screen.

When I was originally checking, I was making comparison between the then latest build and build Dec-23-13. I do not see the problem in that earlier build, did you change the precision down after Dec-23-13 build?

---------

I was just having a look at build Feb-15-2014, not seeing the problem(with "X"(paint select)) in that build and the selection is a lot faster. So changes made in Feb-21 is what is causing the issue.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:31:43 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
February 27, 2014, 09:17:06 am
Fixed.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 03, 2014, 12:57:51 pm
I'm getting a quite a lot of selection troubles with recent builds of NVil, particularly regarding polygons being excluded from box and lasso selections, and discrepencies between selections of the same object depending on how closely one is zoomed in upon the object.  I've attached a screenshot and a link to a .vws file so you can see for yourself.  To demonstrate, I've imported the "Demo Head" object from Zbrush.  All I've done is simply chosen to view the model from the left orthographic view of the head and box selected the entire head with LMB-drag.  The same problem exists with q-lmb lasso selection and, to a lesser extent, x-lmb paint selection.  If you zoom very closely into the object and box select it, most of the polys are correctly selected (most, but not necessarily all).  As you zoom farther from the object and attempt the same box selection, you'll notice that progressively less polygons are correctly selected.  As demonstrated in the image I attached, if you zoom right out and box select the entire head, then zoom back in to inspect, the polygon selection is in shambles.
Here is a link to the .vws file:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63406920/Misc/ZBR_DemoHead.vws

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 08, 2014, 08:25:37 am
I'm getting a quite a lot of selection troubles with recent builds of NVil, particularly regarding polygons being excluded from box and lasso selections, and discrepencies between selections of the same object depending on how closely one is zoomed in upon the object.  I've attached a screenshot and a link to a .vws file so you can see for yourself.  To demonstrate, I've imported the "Demo Head" object from Zbrush.  All I've done is simply chosen to view the model from the left orthographic view of the head and box selected the entire head with LMB-drag.  The same problem exists with q-lmb lasso selection and, to a lesser extent, x-lmb paint selection.  If you zoom very closely into the object and box select it, most of the polys are correctly selected (most, but not necessarily all).  As you zoom farther from the object and attempt the same box selection, you'll notice that progressively less polygons are correctly selected.  As demonstrated in the image I attached, if you zoom right out and box select the entire head, then zoom back in to inspect, the polygon selection is in shambles.
Here is a link to the .vws file:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63406920/Misc/ZBR_DemoHead.vws

Which update did you use? If you read back a few posts in this thread from you will found out some related information.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 10, 2014, 09:25:20 am
Which update did you use? If you read back a few posts in this thread from you will found out some related information.

I was using the February "30th" update.  Downloading the March 7 update as I type this.  I did read the posts above - even so, I'm at a bit of a loss, because there are many times when I need to zoom out and select a large portion of mesh accurately, which is more or less not possible now.  Furthermore, I can't even zoom in *close* and get an accurate selection with models such as the head example I uploaded. Sooo.... I don't know about "precision" settings or whatnot, but this is already negatively impacting my workflow in a frustrating way.  I didn't just run into the problem I posted in a test specifically setup to highlight the issue - first, I ran into it while I was actually trying to get work done.

**Edit: Still getting the same behaviour in the Mar 07 update.  It's a bit odd because if I zoom in so that the demo head (attached in my previous post) fills the screen, and then I LMB-drag to box select the entire head, it temporarily highlights every camera-facing polygon in red correctly, but as soon as I let go, some of the polygons are visibly removed from the selection, as if they've been filtered out from the selection.  That's probably not helpful, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:01:11 am by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2014, 12:36:32 pm
I'm getting a quite a lot of selection troubles with recent builds of NVil, particularly regarding polygons being excluded from box and lasso selections, and discrepencies between selections of the same object depending on how closely one is zoomed in upon the object.

I have been having a look.

Disable :- "Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection Enabled".

It appears some recent changes to how that functions is causing some issues.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 12, 2014, 01:41:53 pm
I have been having a look.

Disable :- "Edit > Options > Subobject Occlusion Selection Enabled".

It appears some recent changes to how that functions is causing some issues.

Good find... only had a moment to test, but there were obvious improvements at first glance.  Though, obviously the major downfall of disabling subobject occlusion selection, is, well, exactly what it says - subobjects don't occlude the selection so even LMB-selection methods will end up selecting items on the opposing side of the mesh if their normals are facing the camera.  Defo hoping all this backface and selection stuff can be sorted out - I've had to skip over the use of NVIL for work-related modeling in the interim.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:49:50 pm by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 12, 2014, 02:26:30 pm
I am curious as to when you have actually seen this work correctly in Nvil, on objects that are zoomed out at a great distance.

I have been going over some of the builds, which includes the 03-april-13 when the option (Subobject Occlusion Selection) was first added, and that shows the same problem of not selecting [some] polygons at great distance.

Which application(s) are you using that works in the way you are expecting?. (<- just curious)
From my limited use of polygon programmes, I am only used to options of selecting/not selection back facing.