News:

Topic: NumPad Does Not Work in Manipulation Input Window  (Read 9120 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 08, 2014, 04:53:19 pm
Per the topic title, if I wish to perform any sort of object manipulation through the Manipulation Input window, I cannot enter values with the NumPad/10-key.  The operators work (*,-,+,.,/, etc.) but not the numbers themselves.  I do have my 10-key hotkeyed to various view-related commands, but they don't appear to be causing any overt conflict.  Could you please fix this, as I often need to input specific real-world values when transforming, scaling, etc... and using the 10-key numpad is much faster for this.  As a related side-note, my previously reported bug regarding the Tab-key not switching between input fields still hasn't been resolved (the same problem exists on both of the primary PCs on which I use NVIL).  Once tabbing works properly and the numpad issue is fixed, accurate manipulation should be much faster.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:55:33 pm by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:11:36 pm
The number pad does work on my setup. Make sure you have the "Num lock" enabled.

The "Tab" is now working with latest version on my setup. I was having some extra problem with that due to my setup with custom windows/toolbars, but that is also now resolved.

Could you check the latest version (jan-09). If still the same problem, could you check with a new default config?

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 08, 2014, 05:15:19 pm
I did have numlock enabled, and I'm on the Jan 09 version.  But I'm still on my old config.  If I restore to a completely default config, will I have to rebuild my entire interface and rebind my keys from scratch? (Cause that sounds really tedious, but possibly necessary).

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:23:22 pm
As a side note regarding NumPad, I'd like to add one thing if I may.
Numeric input fields won't accept comma as a decimal symbol. So on some region settings, like mine for example, the "NumPad ." will not work at all because it tries to write a comma.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:29:14 pm
Nvil config is stored (on win7 64) in the "Users / {your name} / Appdata / Roaming / DigitalFossils / NVil" folder (that location is hidden by windows by default. So a possible need to open windows folder options and "show hidden files/folders").
What I do, is find that folder and rename it (and make a backup copy). When Nvil then starts, it will make a new folder/config. After testing, you can delete that new folder that was created and rename your old config folder back to its correct name.

If you still have the same problem with a new config, I would suggest sending IStonia a copy of your config files (via e-mail), with any info that may help.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:31:35 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 05:35:28 pm
If you don't want to fiddle with "show hidden files/folders" you can type: "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\DigitalFossils\" into Explorer's address bar.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 07:46:58 pm
The Numbpad and Tab key all works on me. Can you try this one and see if it works on the Numbpad?. I've disabled the keyboard hooking completely.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-Jan-07a-14.rar

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 09:31:35 pm
I spent about an hour on modelling some stuff in order to try out the hook-less version. So far I didn't encounter any unwanted issues with sticky keys - even with that blasted SHIFT that I got quite frequently. :)
So maybe this was the culprit?

Can't say anything about NumPad as it always worked for me.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 10:36:09 pm
Okay I was too hasty to assume it fixed all my key problems. Just a moment ago the I was unable to use ALT in all programs while NVil was running. Closing NVil immediately solved the issue.
---
And the issue with locked SHIFT is there too. :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:47:36 pm by rubberDuck »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
January 08, 2014, 11:29:24 pm
Okay I was too hasty to assume it fixed all my key problems. Just a moment ago the I was unable to use ALT in all programs while NVil was running. Closing NVil immediately solved the issue.
---

Did it happen when you were using the hook less version?

• No avatar
  • Polygon
January 09, 2014, 12:23:07 am
---

Did it happen when you were using the hook less version?
At first it didn't. That's why I thought the hook-less version solved keyboard problems. But then after spending a longer time with this version, these problems started to happen again. Although perhaps not that frequently as always (or it might be just my wishful thinking).

Maybe I'll just start to record my NVil sessions to see if the issue occurs randomly or is caused by some action.

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 09, 2014, 09:19:41 am
I just tried out the 09 Jan 2014 version of NVIL with completely initialised settings, and I can see that Tabbing and NumPad entry seems to work just fine now.  If I switch back to my old settings folder, the problem returns, which means I now get the fun of trying to piece my old, heavily-customised NVIL back together manually without breaking the Tab and NumPad abilities  :-\

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 09, 2014, 09:57:41 am
Ok, here's a bug I found with tabbing, focus traversal, etc while using custom docked windows.  I attached a diagram to show it clearly.  So, if I just use the default NVil settings, the Visual Tools palette is sat to the right of the UI all by itself, and Tabbing between input fields works fine.  Oddly, I've noticed that the Enter key *also* works just like the Tab key now, whereas (I think?) it used to perform more like I'd expect an Enter key to do - i.e. if I filled in the parameters to create a box and hit Enter, the box would then be created.  As I get used to it, though, that might be a good thing when using the numpad since an enter key is so close to hand.  Ok fine.  But I like to customise my UI, so I created a custom window with buttons representing all my Snap settings.  I then docked this custom window below the Visual Tools palette.  NOW, if I try to tab between fields in the Visual Tools palette, it doesn't work... instead, the focus changes to highlight the custom Snaps window.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:24:09 am by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 09, 2014, 10:22:16 am
Ok, one more tabbing bug for you - this time with hot windows.  I now have tabbing and numpad entry working in the Manipulation Input Window.  But, I find I work faster when I use the Manipulation Input Hot Window instead.  Tabbing between input fields is not working in the hot window.  The Enter key however, is working within the hot window, so at least that's quite good because it's very fast to use the numpad with enter as it can all be done with one hand.  I would prefer if the hot window behaviour was consistent with the docked window, however.

On a tangent note - I'm really liking using more hot windows.  I use custom hot windows in ZBrush and in my CAD programs, so it really gels well with my workflow to be able to use them in NVIl.  However, I find it a bit visually jarring that a hot window equivalent of a docked window visually moves the docked window to the cursor location when the hot window is called, rather than spawning its own unique instance.  For example, if I have the docked Input Manipulation Window pinned open and then call up the Manipulation Input Hot Window, the docked version is actually removed from its location for the duration that the hot window is open.  I'm hoping this behaviour can be changed so that that the docked windows stay in place.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:21:02 am by JTenebrous »

• No avatar
  • Spline
January 09, 2014, 12:10:09 pm
This particular bug is a big problem with the Jan 07a version of Nvil posted by Istonia (the hookless variant).  My problem with the hookless variant is that Tabbing is completely messed up by the fact that I use custom UI windows.  If I ever hit Tab within *any* input field, be it manipulation input or primitive creation, the focus immediately traverses to my custom UI window (wherein I've set up Snap icons).