News:

Topic: Build mar-12-13 start up time: 600% increase.  (Read 11871 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 09:58:57 pm
The problem is people can change the dirve letters, although it is rare.
I did not come across on the Internet.

Why you need two copies of NVil of the same version for? For each of the copy you have to make a directory setting and you have to do this for every new update. I have a few folders, "Passerby User Settings", "Vaquero User Settings" and "My User Settings". When I need one of them, I just copy and paste it to the right loaction, then change its name to "User Settings".
For example, a one version has bug, but not enough a function which in new, other version . Or for test.

I do not understand one thing (allocated by red color).You certainly know better how to implement portability. Therefore, after the answer to the question, I will close for yourself this question  :)

User worked on the job. Run NVil on the USB Flash. Changed a setting. Came home. What will happen to the settings on the home computer?
--------------
Ah, i understand. You want when user start NVil on HDD, was used a settings from USB Flash (if portable) ?
I.e. one copy of NVil and different settings, right?

But on the job is all the same need to update the version of the NVil.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:11:23 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 10:20:48 pm
molebox, it seems there is a glass wall between us. We can see each other but we can't hear each other. lol.

Check this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

Every update uses the same config file folder. Do you know where it is?

If a user set every PC he uses to use the same config file folder which resides in his USB drive, he can make some setting changes in one PC then cary the USB drive to another PC and he can use the latest settings made in the last PC on the second PC "Straight Away" by just plugging in the USB drive.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 11:07:53 pm
molebox, it seems there is a glass wall between us. We can see each other but we can't hear each other. lol.

Check this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter
Ha-ha  ;D I know about it. Just I did not seen who changed HDD by A:\  ;-)

Every update uses the same config file folder. Do you know where it is?
Yes, of course. I'm advanced user PC  ;-)

If a user set every PC he uses to use the same config file folder which resides in his USB drive, he can make some setting changes in one PC then cary the USB drive to another PC and he can use the latest settings made in the last PC on the second PC "Straight Away" by just plugging in the USB drive.

I see the glass wall ;-) 

the user has two ways:
1. the user has 2 copy of the NVil - a) on usb flash  b) on home pc  - using a settings only from usb-version  --> him need to update 2 versions of the NVil. ---> you can to use my variant of the portable (diagram). A settings he can to update with help menu--> save options(if you to add it)

2. the user has only 1 copy NVil on the usb-flash.  --> you can to use my variant of the portable (diagram)

Where i wrong? There are other variants? Why reinvent the wheel? ;-)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:13:31 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 11:41:51 pm
Hi molebox,

1. the user has 2 copy of the NVil - a) on usb flash  b) on home pc 

The new option is "NVil Portable User Settings"

It is only intended so that the settings for NVIL can be placed on a usb flash drive, and those setting can then be used on various different PC`s

When NVIL starts it will check to see if there is a usb drive attached and check for the portable folder, if found, NVIL will use that folder for config. If usb not attached, or usb attached but no portable folder, then default config used on HD.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 15, 2013, 12:00:06 am
damn! п*зде* (sorry, it is obscene word in Russian 8) )

in front of me all the time were the words NVil Portable , NVil Portable  ;D

I downloaded a minute ago Gimp Portable

I hate it word, now =)))

Very big thanks steve!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:02:34 am by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 15, 2013, 12:07:23 am
molebox, I think I might understand a little bit now.

If I am right, these are what you are talking about.

File > Upload Settings from USB
File > Download Settings to USB

I just try to avoid using the word 'P..table' in case I may get п*зде*.

But I wonder how often people may use this and you can do it manually when you need. Adding new things will always cause confusion and make the inferface more crowded.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 15, 2013, 12:26:39 am
molebox, I think I might understand a little bit now.

If I am right, these are what you are talking about.

File > Upload Settings from USB
File > Download Settings to USB
Yes. Only Upload/Download using for internet. Copy or Save As better. I had the idea to use this dropbox or something similar for storing settings, but ..

I just try to avoid using the word 'P..table' in case I may get п*зде*.
=) п*зде* - it is "pussy"+finish(crash) .This refers to a situation. I spend every post from 10-40 minutes and everything was so simple :o     

p.s. LOL. Google translate is know it is word;D
p.p.s. there are pros : more I read the text -> learn English
p.p.p.s. if I wrote a bad word, then tell me, I will correct. Just the word "pussy" we write in the newspapers, when the "famous" band Pussy Riot
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:45:32 am by molebox »