News:

Topic: Build mar-12-13 start up time: 600% increase.  (Read 11867 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 05:53:14 am
IStonia,why check five subdirectories? And why check, flash drive or not. Maybe better to do a direct test: if the folder Nvil User Setting resides in folder NVil --> Portable

by the way, does affect the long name "Nvil User Setting" for the performance?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:02:25 am by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 06:01:02 am
molebox, some one asked for it. He uses NVil at home and at work and he wants to keep the settings in one place, his flash drive, so he doesn't have to transfer the settings every time he makes changes.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 06:06:14 am
It is problems by users =)
When changed a options on the flash it will be copy to HDD?
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 06:29:53 am
It is not a problem. By default, the changes you make are saved into a folder under your user account in your C: drive. You can't port your Hard Drive to your work place miles away, can you? But this option can let you save it into your flash drive and you can carry it anywhere you like. Not under water though.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 06:38:39 am
I created a folder for the mobile settings on a removable USB flash drive, and NVIL started as normal, saved settings etc, and closed as normal. Very strange, as after removing the USB flash, NVIL still started/exit OK.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 07:05:04 am
IStonia, we do not understand each other =)

To add in menu:

Save a options in ..   - It is copy NVil User Setting. For portable "you" need to save it in NVil folder (for example USB Flash/NVil)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:12:52 am by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 07:24:28 am
Agree, we still don't. Are you making suggestions or are you pointing out problems in the diagram. What I am currently implenting is, user can make his option to use it or not in preference form. The option will be saved into the local pc's registry. If the option is on, the app will try to search the usb first. If the search failed, the app will use the default folder.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 07:46:25 am
What prevents a user to use two copies?
1. Portable. With help of the point menu he can to copy a settings from user account into portable version (Him need only select the NVil folder on USB Flash). It is version may start from USB flash
2. The base version on home computer

p.s. portable version should not use the registry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:58:21 am by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 12:16:19 pm
I don't think it is practical. Each time for a new update, you have to create two copies for the two versions.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 01:46:26 pm
I don't think it is practical. Each time for a new update, you have to create two copies for the two versions.
In Russia there is a saying: you love to ride, love and carry the sleigh for a  (google translate -probably poorly translated ). I.e. if you want fresh version of the NVil -> will update it

Ok.
 User worked on the job. Run NVil on the USB Flash. Changed a setting. Came home. What will happen to the settings on the home computer?
--------------
Ah, i understand. You want when user start NVil on HDD, was used a settings from USB Flash (if portable) ?
I.e. one copy of NVil and different settings, right?

But on the job is all the same need to update the version of the NVil.
-----------------------------
What if I want to have two copies of NVil but with different settings? But I do not want to use USB Flash? How many portable applications i used - all worked like on my block diagram.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:29:10 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 03:34:43 pm
Hi IStonia,

I found what is causing the problem. My Motherboard BIOS was set with having a 3.5 floppy attached, but there is not one attached. I disabled that, and NVIL starts correctly.

Not sure yet as to why NVIL would have problem with that, unless it is trying to map the non-existent drive?

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 04:40:49 pm
Yes, it is can cause a problem. A few years ago i removed 3.5 drive and forget to disable it in BIOS. Then randomly chose this disc in the file manager - a file manager hung  a few seconds.
It seems, 3.5 drive is removable disk, like USB flash. When NVil gets a list of all the removable disks, he turns to the 3.5 disk and hung by a few seconds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:47:54 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 05:13:05 pm
It seems, 3.5 drive is removable disk, like USB flash. When NVil gets a list of all the removable disks, he turns to the 3.5 disk and hung by a few seconds.

Such a drive will show as hardware, but not as active or ready. It is similar to USB ports, they are hardware, but not active/ready until USB drive attached.
Attempted mapping of such a non-existent not-ready drive is, well, not good.

To me, it is just windows/.net that is all bloat-ware, poorly patched together bad code. I think it is getting close to my making full switch to Linux.

• No avatar
  • Spline
March 14, 2013, 05:24:42 pm
I think what IStonia need to exclude A: and B: - they usually using for virtual disk or real 3.5 disk or have any other information?

IStonia uploaded new version. Are you tested?

To me, it is just windows/.net that is all bloat-ware, poorly patched together bad code. I think it is getting close to my making full switch to Linux.
Certainly in linux has its own nuances and problems. I'm don't like .NET, too. Sorry that .NET has become popular, but then it probably would not be NVil  :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:37:30 pm by molebox »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2013, 09:21:14 pm
I think what IStonia need to exclude A: and B: - they usually using for virtual disk or real 3.5 disk or have any other information?

The problem is people can change the dirve letters, although it is rare.

What if I want to have two copies of NVil but with different settings? But I do not want to use USB Flash? How many portable applications i used - all worked like on my block diagram.

Why you need two copies of NVil of the same version for? For each of the copy you have to make a directory setting and you have to do this for every new update. I have a few folders, "Passerby User Settings", "Vaquero User Settings" and "My User Settings". When I need one of them, I just copy and paste it to the right loaction, then change its name to "User Settings".