News:

Topic: System requirements  (Read 4324 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 30, 2013, 10:25:26 pm
Hey Guys
Where is the system requirements list for Nvil?
I am currently working to see If I can get Nvil to run on Linux using Winehq.
 I a have windows 8 and linux mint 15 installed.
If I can get Nvil to run under Winehq in Linux I think it could broaden the Nvil user base.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 31, 2013, 01:38:33 am
really im a long time linux user, used 10 different distros, and still think wine is garbage, for the bad performance you get, i find it is never worth the fight with wine.

which is why i stick to using linux for what it's good for, such as my "lamp" server that is running these forums.

Unless it can run native, with no wrappers i would so don't even bother, which it cant since it relies on a lot of .net libs, and a windows UI.

only would be possible native on linux if it didnt have the dependencies on all the windows libs, and if it had a gtk+ or QT gui
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:40:31 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 31, 2013, 02:34:21 am
really im a long time linux user, used 10 different distros, and still think wine is garbage, for the bad performance you get, i find it is never worth the fight with wine.

which is why i stick to using linux for what it's good for, such as my "lamp" server that is running these forums.

Unless it can run native, with no wrappers i would so don't even bother, which it cant since it relies on a lot of .net libs, and a windows UI.

only would be possible native on linux if it didnt have the dependencies on all the windows libs, and if it had a gtk+ or QT gui

Thanks
That is kind of what I suspected with wine.
What about virtual box?
I am using Linux Mint mainly for 2d sketching and painting. Mypaint version 1.1 and the latest version of Krita. When I am on windows I use Sketchbook pro

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 31, 2013, 08:26:02 am
havnt done vb with a linux host and windows guest in a long time. but if I remember there were 2 versions of virtualbox for linux virtualbox, and virtualbox OSE. IIRC the non OSE one had better 3d driver support for windows guests.

in theory it should work this way, but you will want a really powerfully system, with a lot of ram, since there is a lot of overhead involved with running multiple desktop OS's in vm's.

• No avatar
  • Spline
July 31, 2013, 11:46:20 pm
havnt done vb with a linux host and windows guest in a long time. but if I remember there were 2 versions of virtualbox for linux virtualbox, and virtualbox OSE. IIRC the non OSE one had better 3d driver support for windows guests.

in theory it should work this way, but you will want a really powerfully system, with a lot of ram, since there is a lot of overhead involved with running multiple desktop OS's in vm's.

Ok thanks

• Administrator
  • Polygon
July 31, 2013, 11:52:23 pm
ya didn't ask it to do much but i have successfully run it from vbox with a openSuSE host OS, seems smooth, but i also got a really high end comptuer too, and was able to give the vm a lot of resources

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 01, 2013, 05:36:07 pm
How much is required of the gpu to run in vm?
My gpu is a old dog.
I do have 8 gb of mem. and a dual core.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 02, 2013, 12:42:06 am
really you will just have to try it out, since it also depends on if your gpu has good linux drivers too, my does since nvidia is very well supported under linux.

but i just made a win7 vm, gave it the maximum amount of vram vbox will let me (128mb), and enabled 3d acceleration, and think i had 6gb and 2 cores for the vm. But sure you could do it with much less resources allocated to the VM since your computer doesn't have as much cores or ram as my.