News:

Topic: Branding and Names  (Read 30114 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
February 28, 2012, 11:53:41 am
Hey Memag.  I like your designs I was just thinking that most icons are extremely simplistic and bold so I tried taking your font design and circular idea but changed the colours slightly.

I think that the orange/yellow circle is too similar to The Foundry's designs unfortunately.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:56:32 am by ghib »
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
February 28, 2012, 11:57:40 am
Nice!

Yeah well, most of everything has been done already.
Icons with transparency didn't work out well as they couldn't be read easily.
It is tough to include the logo, anvil and blob (or any combination) in one tiny icon,
so it makes sense to simplify. I guess ,in the end at least one of the elements must go from the icon.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:05:04 pm by Memag »

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
February 28, 2012, 12:17:30 pm
I totally agree, trying to squeeze too much info into that small space leads to a muddled design.  Simplify all the way.  Just taking a look at the icons on my taskbar and desktop shows that the clear & successful ones are solid in the centre even if they have transparency and bright bold shapes and colours.

I really like the two tone scheme you have going but we all know that it's an appealing combination don't we?

I say run with it.
Senior 3D Artist

• Edge
February 28, 2012, 12:36:24 pm
It could have been any other (complementary or not) color pair ( in style of Adobe packages, Zbrush, Silo, Modo..).I like warm/cold contrasts and contrasts in general, there was no particular reason why I put those hues, but I liked it. All icon are just variations of the basic few ideas and shapes.

Feel free to experiment.

• Edge
March 11, 2012, 11:48:49 am
Istonia,

can splash screens contain/display transparency?
Maybe I'd do few more if it's possible.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 11, 2012, 11:54:31 am
Give it a try.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:54:33 pm by IStonia »

• Edge
March 11, 2012, 12:10:59 pm
Roger that.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 12, 2012, 12:17:27 am
Istonia,

can splash screens contain/display transparency?
Maybe I'd do few more if it's possible.

Memag, I think it is possible.

• Edge
March 12, 2012, 08:40:34 am
Okay Istonia.
I'll post files and samples here.

• Edge
March 13, 2012, 01:43:02 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (dashed line not part of the image)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ (dashed line not part of the image)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:07:04 pm by Memag »

• Edge
March 14, 2012, 03:13:48 pm
Hi.

As I really didn't like the zoom cursor I took liberty to redo some of the current cursor designs (navigation and some modeling tools), so I'd thought to share them. Extract archive to VW folder.

cursor set

Istonia , is there a way to work on UI design. how would one approach making custom skins,icons,tabs?
Did you work with Qt before?

Also, if you like the custom cursors, fell free to use them as default.
Thanks!

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2012, 04:00:52 pm
think the icons should be more simplistic.

Though i do agree with you that using QT would be great for the UI, since with the current system, the UI isnt exactly consistent with it's self. Some things are styled with the OS 's style others aren,t so think it would look better to just give it all it's own style with QT like maya does.

this also allows for some cool features too since qt or even gtk allow you to do things such as ripping off menus into floating dialogs, and a more functional radial menu.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:06:43 pm by Passerby »

• Edge
March 14, 2012, 04:20:24 pm
Yes, well I did add quite a bit on some of them (extrude,orient and chamfer).
I wanted to do simple color icons but Nvil doesn't allow them.Only monochromatic ones so I went on cursor rage. The default ones are pretty simplistic, these complex suit me fine for the time being.

But the vertex and vertex weld are pretty cool , right?

I agree about UI, the reason is exactly the inconsistency of toolbars, menus etc.
It should all be a part of one UI, smooth and nice.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:23:47 pm by Memag »

• Administrator
  • Polygon
March 14, 2012, 04:23:57 pm
looked kinda cool but i think the vertex weld one takes a lot of space and can sometimes cover up what your welding.

ya would be nice if it supports color cursors, with a alpha.

• Edge
March 14, 2012, 04:27:10 pm
Well, you have welding visor to see what you're welding. :)